Vics topple table-toppers Edinburgh Rose

Newcraighall Leith Vics have a new-look team which has struggled in the Premier Division until this victory
Newcraighall Leith Vics have a new-look team which has struggled in the Premier Division until this victory
Have your say

Last year’s Premier Division champions Newcraighall Leith Vics finally recorded their first league win of the season, beating high flying Edinburgh Rose 3-1 at Peffermill.

In what had been a tough start to the 15/16 campaign with a new-look team, Vics dug out an impressive display against the top-of-the-table side to take the spoils.

Rose struck first in the encounter however, and in some style. Craig Stewart’s free-kick from range dipped over the wall and in, giving the table toppers an early advantage.

Despite going a goal down, Vics didn’t roll over and instead they responded with a quickfire brace on the half hour to turn the game on its head. First, Stuart Kidd delivered into the box for Kevin Stewart to half volley into the roof of the net. Then, five minutes later, Stewart got in front of his marker at the front post to steer the ball in, as the two combined once again.

After the interval Rose had a lot of the ball as they tried to get back on level terms, but Vics defended admirably and they found a third to secure the win late on. Kidd again was in the thick of the action as he chased down a hopeful forward ball before putting the it away, securing Vics’ first league win of the campaign.

Students pass test

Edinburgh Uni picked up a hard fought three points as they battled to a 4-2 league win over Sandys at Peffermill.

Uni started strongly in the Premier Division match up and they soon had a goal to show for their efforts. Kyle Brown produced some silky footwork in the Sandys penalty box as he dribbled past three players before firing into the goal.

Sandys responded with a goal of equal quality when Robert Mckenzie ran through on goal before dinking a well weighted chip into the net to even things up.

It didn’t dent the resolve of Uni though, and they picked up two more before the break to put themselves in a commanding position. Harald Burchardt fired in a penalty that was awarded when Lewis Scott was wiped out in the area. Then, as half-time loomed, Uni grabbed another when Burchardt latched onto a ball over the top before lobbing Sandys goalie Graeme Lennie.

Sandys came out with fire in their bellies and they soon pulled a goal back in the second 45. Graham Mills was in the right place at the right time to head in at the back post for 2-3.

The momentum was with Sandys but Uni scored a goal worthy of winning any game as substitute Alex Hannan sent a screamer past Lennie from 25 yards with his first touch of the game.

Getting the Sparty started

The Spartans picked up their first three points of the season as they grabbed a convincing 5-1 win over Musselburgh Amateurs at Ainslie Park.

The Premier Division basement club started well and never looked back. Ryan Park opened the scoring for Spartans when his lob from the edge of the box found the net via the underside of the bar.

Then, five minutes later things got even better for Spartans as Roddie MacLeod doubled their advantage, sending a bullet header crashing into the goal.

After the break, Mussie showed spirit to pull a goal back through Chrissy Stevenson’s neat finish, but the rallying efforts of his side were premature as Spartans upped the ante.

The pressure told as Stuart Fenwick restored the two-goal cushion for Spartans when he latched onto a defence-splitting pass before slotting home for 3-1.

Spartans were in cruise control and they continued to go in search of goals. Kameil Macdonald made it 4-1 to the hosts as he latched onto sub Jamie Campbell’s ball before firing in.

Then, as the game drew to a close, Campbell provided another assist as he put the ball on a plate for Graham 
Miller to find Spartans fifth, wrapping up a well-earned