Welfare state intentions with second successive win

Have your say

Whitehill WELFARE 
returned from a potentially 
hazardous away game against Selkirk with a 4-2 victory to record their second successive win in their East of Scotland Qualifying League sectional tie.

The Rosewell club, under new boss Mike Lawson, had to rely on a last-minute goal from striker Scott Gormley to cement their win.

“I have to say that it was not a comfortable win but that’s ten goals in two games away from home so I’m not too unhappy,” said Lawson.

Whitehill took an early lead with a wonder strike by Stevie Manson before Gormley to add a second midway through the first half. However, Whitehill then conceded possession in the middle of the park and Jonny Watt drove forward before driving the ball home.

After the interval, Manson scored another cracking goal then John Dodds kept Whitehill at bay with a series of excellent saves before David Battle brought the Souters back into contention. Selkirk then had a player sent off and Gormley 
finally ensured Whitehill’s win in the dying seconds.

Easthouses Lily drew 1-1 with Central Taxis Premier Division opponents Civil Service Strollers, Jason’s Young’s excellent individual effort for Lily just before half time being cancelled out with two minutes left.

Tynecastle maintained their high-scoring start to the season with a 6-2 win at Gala Fairydean with goals from Ousman See (2), Jamie Devlin (2), Jamie Butler and Kevin Brown. Edinburgh University also won their second successive game with a 6-1 demolition of Peebles Rovers with goals from Calum Murray (4), David McArthur and David Connolly. Preston Athletic lost 2-1 away to Stirling University with Robbie Arthur netting from the spot although Chris Geddes, also from the spot, and Paul Sludden secured the points for the students.

Spartans, in their opening game of the campaign, beat Coldstream 3-0 at Ainslie Park with Chris Anderson, John Grant and Andy Martin on the scoresheet. Edinburgh City were held 1-1 at home by Burntisland Shipyard with Daryl Devlin the marksman, while Lothian Thistle lost 4-0 away to Berwick Rangers Reserves and Vale of Leithen beat Ormiston 4-2 with a hat-trick from Scott Moffat and another goal from Danny Noon. In the Borders, Hawick Royal Albert defeated Eyemouth United 2-1 and Gretna 2008 were 3-0 winners against Kelso United.