Youth round-up: Late winner for Hutchie Vale 14s

Hutchison Vale Colts 14s had to rely on a last-ditch piledriver from Sean Smith to win. Pic: Chris Martin
Hutchison Vale Colts 14s had to rely on a last-ditch piledriver from Sean Smith to win. Pic: Chris Martin
Have your say

Sean Smith scored a dramatic last-minute winner as Hutchison Vale Colts 14s defeated Spartans FC Colts 14s 4-3 at Edinburgh Academy Playing Fields.

It was Hutchie who struck first in this David Innes Cup second-round tie. Lucas Hoenigmann latched onto a long ball forward on 23 minutes to score as they went in ahead at the break.

Spartans equalised early in the second game when captain Innes Skinner unleashed a rasping effort from the corner of the box that flew straight into the top corner.

Hutchie went back ahead through Hoenigmann’s second goal of the game, only to be trumped by two Spartans goals in quick succession from Ethan Russell and Liam Clark to put them 3-2 ahead.

With 68 minutes on the clock. Hutchie debutant Justin Akugbo set up Hoenigmann for his hat-trick with a neat finish under the body of Spartans goalie Matthew Forsyth.

Then, a minute later, Hutchie got a sensational winner when Smith followed up Hoenigmann’s initial shot to blast his side into the next round.

• Spartans Youth 15s coasted into the fourth round of the South East Region Cup with a clinical 5-0 win over Tynecastle Colts at Arboretum Road.

Dennis Wallace opened the scoring for the hosts when he created space on the edge of the box before drilling the ball into the bottom left corner.

One soon became two when Rhys Campbell provided a ball over the top to John Balde and he sent a well-timed header into the back of the net.

Strong winds blowing across the pitch made life extra difficult for both goalkeepers. Spartans weren’t going to complain though as the conditions came to their aid not once, but twice, before the break. First, Luke Cormack’s inswinging corner from left flew directly in over the head of Andrew Morris. Then, from the other side, James Hendersons’ left footed corner went directly in again to put Spartans 4-0 up at the break.

Spartans found a fifth after the break when Luis Wood turned the ball in from two yards. They now face a tricky away tie to Armadale Calcio 15s in the fourth round.

• Hutchie Vale 15s put Gala Fairydean Rovers 15s to the sword in Division 1 as they won 4-0 at Netherdale.

Hutchie wasted little time getting going in the encounter, opening the scoring with three minutes on the clock. Owen Bryce latched on to a ball over the top before blasting the ball down the middle of the goal.

Things soon got even better for Hutchie when John Rea doubled the visitor’s lead, following up Bryce’s initial shot to tuck the ball away.

It was a dominant first-half performance from Hutchie and they further extended their lead on the half-hour mark. Right winger Matthew Combe slipped a pinpoint pass through the heart of the Gala defence and James Robertson chased onto it before finishing the move off for 3-0.

There was still time before the interval for Hutchie to grab a fourth. Nathan Hill whipped the ball into the box and Combe sent a side-footed volley crashing home from 12 yards that even had the Gala crowd 

At the interval Hutchie made a number of changes, but were unable to further extend their lead in the second half. Keeper Ciaran Cairns was one of the replacements off the bench and he made some important stops to deny Gala grabbing a consolation before full-time.