Youths: AC Oxgangs 13s win thanks to second-half salvo

AC Oxgangs 13s
AC Oxgangs 13s
Have your say

AC OXGANGS 13s went goal crazy at Colinton Mains Park as they defeated North Merchiston 8-2 in Division 1A.

In what was a fast-paced start to the game, Oxgangs wasted little time getting in front. A ball in from the right-hand side was well finished by Kyle Cochrane at the back post.

It was almost two for Oxgangs when Daniel Sibbald picked up the ball deep in enemy territory before firing a low shot that was well-saved by Merchie goalkeeper Andrew Matrundola.

In fact, Matrundola was Merchie’s standout performer in the first half as he pulled off some wonderful saves to deny Oxgangs time and time again.

And Merchie pulled level with a few minutes of the half remaining as Alasdair Sherridan ran through on goal to score.

Oxgangs took their chances early on in the second half, however. Jack Louden cut in and finished from close range to make it 2-1 before Christian Pacitti hammered home from inside the box to extend the lead.

It was all Oxgangs as Merchie’s resistance faded. They extended the winning margin as Sibbald hit a diagonal shot into the bottom-left corner and Cochrane added a fifth with a bullet finish.

With ten minutes to go, Oxgangs added another as Ben Mackay stroked the ball into the bottom-right corner.

Merchie did at least have another goal to cheer as Sherridan finished well after getting in behind the Oxgangs defence. But, ultimately, Oxgangs had the last laugh as Pacitti and Chase Miller completed the scoring.

• Longniddry Villa 13s sting Hornets

Longniddry Villa 13s defeated Hutchison Vale Hornets 4-0 in the third round of the South East Region Cup at Longniddry Park.

Villa got stuck in from the word go and went ahead after five minutes. Fergus Williams hit a sweet free-kick around the Hutchie wall and into the bottom-left corner.

Both sides had an even share of chances as the half wore on but it was Villa who struck to establish a 2-0 lead before half time. Archie Wilson rounded off a well-worked team move with a composed finish from close range.

When the game resumed after the break, Hutchie looked more than capable of scoring but their finishing let them down. Once again, Villa took full advantage. The ball fell to Lewis Allan-Brown after a goalmouth scramble and he put it away for 3-0.

Villa sealed their place in the next round with a fine solo goal from Wilson.

• Hutchison Vale 14s into last eight

Hutchison Vale 14s reached the quarter-finals of the South East Region Cup as they beat Leith Athletic 3-1 at Saughton.

Both teams were playing positive, attacking football but their defences were initially tough to break down.

As the half progressed, Hutchie edged the game and eventually the Leith resistance was broken. Aidan Walsh opened the scoring midway through the half with an incisive finish after receiving Lewis Walker’s cutback.

With that, the game opened up as both sides poured forward. Hutchie managed to double their advantage with ten minutes of the half remaining, Bailey Simmons smashing home from the penalty spot to strengthen his side’s lead.

It wasn’t the final action of the half, however. Leith grabbed a lifeline with Hutchie briefly losing concentration at the back, allowing Cameron Stewart to ghost in behind and finish.

The goal made things interesting going into the second half but, in the end, it was Hutchie who stepped up when it mattered. Walker took full advantage of a set-piece within range as he whipped a freekick over the Leith wall and into the opposition goal to make it 3-1.