Youths: AC Oxgangs 14s maintain their title push

AC Oxgangs 14s
AC Oxgangs 14s
Have your say

AC OXGANGS 14s closed the gap at the top of Division 2 with an emphatic 6-0 win over Spartans Reds 14s at Colinton Mains Park.

The victory lifts the second-placed side to within a point of Tynecastle Colts 14s.

It was a dominant performance from the West Edinburgh outfit, who wasted no time in finding the net.

Luke Sayers put the hosts in the driving seat 15 minutes into the match with a sublime strike from 25 yards which left Spartans goalkeeper Aaron Douglas with no chance.

Oxgangs grabbed two more before the break to put daylight between the two sides.

Ewan Evans skipped past several challenges to break into the box and find the bottom corner with a neat finish. On the verge of half-time, Sayers grabbed his second with a great individual effort as he dribbled through the Spartans defence before shooting home. Reece Braidwood grabbed a goal of his own to make it 4-0 before sustained Oxgangs pressure forced the visitors into finding their own net on two occasions to extend the winning margin.

• Late drama lifts Hutchie

HUTCHISON VALE COLTS progressed to the final of the Ian Mackay Cup with a dramatic 4-3 win away to Currie Star 14s at Meggetland.

Hutchie didn’t take long to get going and, two minutes into the game, Emre Karaduman finished past Aaron Hamilton in the Currie goal.

Currie forced an equaliser on the half-hour mark as Marcus Forbes played an aerial pass to Lewis Muego to level the scores.

After the break, Muego grabbed his second of the game to put Currie in front but Hutchie responded to score two in ten minutes to turn the tie on its head.

Karaduman bagged another to make it 2-2 before Conner Stewart headed in to give Hutchie the lead.

Currie looked to force extra time and they thought they had done when Forbes scored past Hutchie keeper Cameron Bryce.

However, the visitors had the final say in the 90th minute when Findlay Barr popped up with a winning goal.

• Penicuik to meet Dunbar

PENICUIK ATHLETIC YFC 15s are through to the final of the Division 3 League Cup after a 3-0 win away to AC Oxgangs 15s at Colinton Mains Park.

The visitors went ahead after 20 minutes when Lewis Anderson struck first time into the back of the net. Ten minutes later, Penicuik doubled their lead when, after some good build-up play, Alistair Hewitt was played in behind the Oxgangs defence and he kept calm to finish the move off. They grabbed a third grabbed a well-worked third as Daniel Glen provided the ball from the right and Anderson diverted it into the top corner for his second of the afternoon.

Penicuik will face Dunbar United Colts in the final, who beat Musselburgh Young Stars 15s 5-3 after extra time.