Youths: Bonnyrigg Rose 19s to the four

Bonnyrigg Rose 19s. Picture: Scott Thomson
Bonnyrigg Rose 19s. Picture: Scott Thomson
Have your say

Bonnyrigg Rose leapt up to fourth in SERYFA’s under-19s Division 1 with a ruthless second-half showing – with a three-goal haul in the space of 14 minutes – to secure a 4-2 away win over AC Oxgangs.

A goal each from Andrew Watson, Ryan Henderson and Lewis Turkington at a crucial stage in the match knocked the wind out of the Oxgangs sails as Rose grabbed their third league win of the season so far.

Neither side was able to get a foothold on the match in a scrappy opening period, bereft of any real quality, which was fought out in the middle of the park.

Rose had goalkeeper Gareth Fleming to thank when Oxgangs were afforded the first real opportunity for either side but Gavin Reid’s goalbound effort from just outside the area was clawed away by Fleming.

It was proven to be an important save as Rose took the lead after 34 minutes. A punt upfield caused problems for the Oxgangs defence who misjudged the flight of the ball and Turkington showed great instinct to nip in and steal possession before coolly dispatching past Andrew Dunnett.

Turkington had the chance to double tally just minutes later after being set free by Henderson but the midfielder fired over.

A bright start to the second half from the home side saw them draw level within four minutes of the restart.

A long ball this time caused problems for Rose and David Boyle chased on to it before finishing well into the bottom corner past Fleming.

Oxgangs were level for just four minutes though, as Rose put themselves back in front with their first of three which would secure all three points for the visitors.

Andrew Watson finished off a good passing move with a great strike which left Dunnett with no chance from the edge of the box and with the Oxgangs defence sleeping, Henderson put Rose 3-1 ahead.

Watson fed his team-mate with a piercing pass and after his first attempt was saved superbly at point blank range by Dunnett, Henderson bundled in the rebound.

Turkington then completed three-goal period with a powerful drive from 20-yards which Dunnett managed to get a hand to, but he found the strike too difficult to hold on to and it nestled in the back of the net.

Oxgangs pulled one back in the 72nd minute when Boyle notched his second. Fleming’s goal kick went straight to Oxgangs’ Fraser Hill and his first time pass fed Boyle, who out muscled his marker before firing into the net via the inside off the post.

With a quarter of the match still remaining, Oxgangs still had time to reduce the deficit but Rose held on – with Rory Maciver in particular a star performer with his no-nonsense tackling in the centre midfield area.

Meanwhile, Dalkeith Miners under-13s came out on top in a Division 3 mid-table thriller at home against Fernieside FC, winning 5-3, to move five points clear against their opponents.

Despite Fernieside starting the game brightly and on the frontfoot it was Dalkeith who took the lead after 15 minutes.

Callum McMillan’s 25-yard free-kick flew into the roof of the net with Fernie’s goalkeeper unable to get a hand to it, such was the size of the little ‘keeper in comparison to the 11-a-side goal frame.

Such goals at the bottom of the youth ladder can be unfair on goalkeeper’s who were, as in this case, too small to be able to stop the strike, but saying that, take nothing away from McMillan’s brilliant effort.

Dalkeith then found themselves two goals to the good when he fired into the top corner from the left hand side of the six yard box before Euan Millar wrapped up the scoring for the first half – when he put his side 3-0 ahead – after going one-on-one with Fernie’s number one.

Fernieside’s team secretary Paul McKinnon bemoaned his side’s inability to put themselves ahead early in the match but he must have been delighted with their response after the interval, when two quick goals brought them back into it.

Paul Clarkson pounced on a loose ball in the box and stroked the ball into the net, ten minutes into the second half, before Cameron McKinnon reduced the Miners’ lead to one when he slotted in at the back post at the second attempt.

Dalkeith weren’t going to throw away their lead easily though, and two goals restored their three-goal advantage.

Dillon Smith’s long-range shot sailed into the top corner of the net and then Greg Bissett made it 5-2 from the penalty spot.

With two minutes remaining Misu Elbhogdaddi pulled a goal back for Fernie with a wonder solo goal – a surging run from the halfway line took him through on goal and he slid the ball into the net.