Youths: Currie Star Colts 14s win Pilmar Smith Cup

Currie Star Colts 14s lifted the Pilmar Smith Cup
Currie Star Colts 14s lifted the Pilmar Smith Cup
Have your say

Currie Star colts 14s lifted the Pilmar Smith Cup after a 3-1 win on penalties against Edinburgh City 14s at Saughton Enclosure.

The game finished 1-1 after 90 minutes as Gary McDonald’s Currie took the lead through Jamie Slawson’s finish early on, only to be denied the victory as Leon Hepburn’s stoppage equaliser sent the game to extra time.

After a goalless extra 20 minutes, penalties were required and Currie goalkeeper Andrew Treschman made three saves as Josh Nicholls, Blair McDonald and Fraser Sayers converted to gift Currie the trophy.

The Colts coach was delighted to see his side win their first cup final. “I’m over the moon. After conceding late on it would have been easy for the boys’ heads to drop but they stuck to the task ahead and applied themselves.

“I’ve known these boys since they were seven years old and the commitment and unity they show means they’re a match for anybody on their day.

“This will live with them for a long time, it’s their first cup final and they dealt with the occasion well. From here they’ll only go on to get stronger and their characters will grow from it,” he said.

Currie took the lead with three minutes on the clock. Josh Nicholls burst into the area from the middle and, as City goalie Ben Methven came to claim the ball, it broke to Slawson who turned to fire home.

Edinburgh rallied and were unlucky not to be on level terms shortly after. Alexander Thomson almost pulled out a goal from nothing when he tried to catch Treschman off guard with a lob from 25 yards but it was just wide.

City had a handful of chances to score before the interval. Oliver Niven came whiskers away from heading infrom a free-kick then, as the break drew nearer, Thomson cut into the area from the right and went down under a challenge from the Currie rearguard. The referee was quick to wave away the penalty claims however, as the half drew to a close.

When play resumed the game opened up as both sides went in search of a key goal in the context of the final. However, neither team could carve out any clear-cut opportunities. With six minutes to go both sides then suddenly found themselves in the thick of goalmouth action. Hepburn found the net for City with a shot that flew in off the post. However, he was adjudged offside in the build-up.

Currie then had a great chance to seal the win when Luis Wood was put through one-on-one, but Methven did enough to put off the No. 8 as he saw his shot go narrowly wide of the post.

Then, as the game went into injury time, Hepburn produced the goods for City as he sent a delicate lob over Treschman and into the back of the net, to take the game to extra time.

It was the Currie goalie who had the last laugh however, as after a goalless 20 minutes of extra time, the custodian kept out City in the shoot-out with three fine saves before Sayers dispatched his penalty to hand his side the trophy.

Edinburgh City 14s: Ben Methven, Lee Alexander, Craig Liddle, Callum Scott, Nathan Graham-Donn, Lucas Denholm, Jaden Steele, Jack Johnson, Oliver Niven, Leon Hepburn, Callum Jardine, Jack Morrison, Euan Harley, Brandon McCutcheon, Alexander Thomson, Anthony White.

Currie Star Colts 14s: Andrew Treschman, Blair McDonald, Stuart Mckenzie, Josh Nicholls, Teo Cengiz, Cameron Lawrie, Luis Wood, Rory O’Brien, Fraser Sayers, Finlay Stewart, Oliver Couts, Iyad Al-Qasem, Cameron Littlejohn, Calum Shand, Jamie Slawson, Dylan Smith.