Youths: Edina Hibs Greens 14s move clear at top

Edina Hibs Greens 14s
Edina Hibs Greens 14s
Have your say

Edina Hibs Greens 14s made top spot their own in Division 3 as they edged out Craigroyston BC 2-1 at Craigie Park.

With both sides unbeaten and level on points at the top of the league prior to this encounter, something had to give.

After stealing the ball at the heart of the Craigie defence, Edina’s Aidan Dodds stepped gave the visitors the lead as he found the top corner from the edge of the box.

To their credit, Craigroyston stuck to their game plan and it wasn’t long before they found a deserved equaliser.

Jamie McEwan got down the right-hand side before sending a square pass over to Ben Hunter, who found the net at the near post.

The determination of Edina shone through once again, though, as they responded with a second goal to restore their lead. With Craigie bodies upfield, Edina broke and Szymon Merwa got in behind to finish calmly one-on-one with goalkeeper Darren Owen.

Both sides had chances in the second half but neither team could put the ball in the net and Edina saw the game out.

• Fernieside 17s are five alive

Fernieside 17s secured a quarter-final spot in the Craig Gowans Memorial Cup with a comprehensive 5-0 win over Division 1 side Leith Athletic at Leith Links.

Fernieside looked to attack from the off and it didn’t take long before they broke the deadlock.

After eight minutes, Brodie Duncan played a neat one-two with Liam McCabe before setting up Liam McIntosh to provide the finish from close range.

Soon after, Fernieside doubled their advantage in a more direct fashion.

Ronan Clelland sent a crossfield ball from distance to Kyle Taylor and he fired in from an acute angle to give his side breathing space.

It had been an easy ride for the away side and, after the break, they continued to perform on the field with three more goals to put the game out of reach for Leith.

McIntosh added his second of the game five minutes into the second half when Taylor put the ball on a plate for him to send a well-placed shot into the net.

Goals four and five soon followed for Fernie with Jack Thomson playing in substitute Liam Wishart to score before Taylor sealed his brace with a sweetly struck free-kick.

• Thrumble is hero for Spartans 13s

Spartans 13s edged out Peebles 3-2 in the opening round of the Belmont Vauxhall Cup thanks to Jack Thrumble’s late winner at Gytes Leisure Centre.

Although Spartans began the brighter of the two sides, it was Peebles who took the lead when Ramsay Leitham rounded off a well-worked move with a calm finish past the Spartans goalkeeper.

Thrumble was given the opportunity to put his side on level terms shortly afterwards when Spartans were awarded a penalty after a Peebles defender handled in the area, and he made no mistake from 12 yards.

Both sides cancelled each other out for the remainder of the opening half but, after the interval, it was Spartans who went ahead with a goal on the counter. Paolo Benzoni crossed from the left to Lewis Menzies at the back post and he sent a shot into the far corner of the net.

Peebles responded through another strike from Leitham as he sent a shot high into the goal from just inside the box.

The next goal was going to be the winner and it was Spartans who found it in dramatic circumstances when Thrumble kept calm to slot the ball past the home goalkeeper and secure Spartans their place in the next round of the competition.