Youths: Edinburgh City 13s bounce back to grab win

Edinburgh City 13s
Edinburgh City 13s
Have your say

EDINBURGH CITY 13s came from behind to run out 3-2 winners over Cavalry Park 13s in a closely-fought Division 1 clash at Forrester High School.

After going in at the break 2-1 down, Cameron Johnston and Thomas Jamieson found the net to hand the hosts a their second league win of the season, moving them away from the foot of the table.

Cavalry impressed early on in the encounter as they attacked with pace and purpose, looking to end 2014 on a high note. It was a bold strategy and one which paid off when they went ahead in the fifth minute. Charlie McKinnon showed determination to chase a hopeful through ball down the right-hand side. After beating his man to it, he provided a pinpoint cross to Kai Griffiths, who took a touch before rifling the ball home.

It was to be a short-lived lead for the visitors, however, as City made their mark on the game minutes later. A mistake at the back by Cavalry gifted possession to Johnston and he punished them with a neat left-footed finish from just inside the area.

After that brief lapse in concentration, the away side made swift amends to take the lead once again in the tenth minute. McKinnon this time decided to go it alone in attack when he received a pass before cutting in and slotting the ball past Ross Wallace in the City goal. City showed fighting spirit again after conceding and had a number of chances before half-time to grab an equaliser. The ever-present Johnston threaded the ball through to Bradley Murray down the left flank before he cut in and found the base of the post with a well-hit strike.

Jack Perriss then almost pulled the scores level out of nothing when he ran from the centre circle before attempting a 25-yard piledriver, but it was well held by Cavalry goalie Lewis Hamilton.

With neither side able to find the net before the break, Cavalry went into the second period with a narrow lead. However, minutes into the half, it was cancelled out as City fought back once again to make it 2-2.

A corner from the right was half-cleared and Johnston pulled off a moment of brilliance when he volleyed home from close range for his second of the game.

The hosts were on top and looked hungry for goals. They came mighty close to taking the lead in the 55th minute when another set-piece caused problems for the Cavalry defence. Thomas Jamieson’s header from a corner looped over Hamilton’s head and rattled the crossbar much to the Cavalry goalie’s relief. Ten minutes later, though, the No.12 got his goal to give the home side a deserved 3-2 lead.

With the away side pressing in search of a winning goal, City won the ball and broke with pace. Jamieson outpaced his marker and rounded Hamilton in the Cavalry goal before tapping the ball into the empty net. It was a deserved lead for the home side, who looked the better of the two teams in the second 45.

Into the final ten minutes and the visitors were doing all they could to take a point from the game and they so nearly made it 3-3 with four minutes left. A ball into the area wasn’t cleared by the home defence, giving Griffiths a great chance to find the net from eight yards. A brave last-ditch tackle from Ben Dunlop at the back saved his side from conceding, however, as Edinburgh City held on to take all three points.

Edinburgh City 13s: Devin Davidson, Jason Howie, Cameron Johnston, Ben Dunlop, Finlay Robinson, Charlie Malone, Niall Tonner, Sam Lewis, Reece Cockburn, Joseph Lyall-Walker, Thomas Jamieson, Niall McLaughlin, Bradley Murray, Aiden Watt, Jack Perriss, Josh McLellan, Ross Wallace, Mac Lunn.

Cavalry Park 13s: Lewis Hamilton, Andrew Bulloch, Arran McVie, Aaron Smith, Evan Jardine, Harris McGregor, Conan Murie, Aodhan Heaney, Jack Mackinnon, Jamie Neill, Kai Griffiths, Liam Neill, Michael Cornelius, Ryan McGrory, Charlie McKinnon.