Youths: Edinburgh City 13s storm into semi-finals

Edinburgh City 13s
Edinburgh City 13s
Have your say

Edinburgh City 13s progressed to the semi-finals of the George Salmon Cup with a convincing 4-1 win over Arniston Rangers 13s at Forrester High School.

The home side took the lead in the first minute when Jack Sutherland turned in a low delivery from the right.

Rangers tried to respond and Euan Donaldson thought he’d equalised when he sent the ball past keeper Joseph Crow, but the City goalie somehow got back to block on the line.

City weren’t to be stopped, though, and a couple of goals before the break put them in total command. Storm Whitelaw made it 2-0 when his free-kick from the left deceived everyone and found the net. Lewis Meechan then ghosted in at the near post to stab home a Sutherland cross for number three.

Sub Denim Power rounded Crow to pull one back for Rangers at the start of the second half, but the hosts sealed the win when Fraser Stewart fired in from outside the box.

Windsor flex their Mussels

Musselburgh Windsor 17s closed the gap at the top of Division 1 as they battled to a 2-1 victory over Spartans Reds 17s at Pinkie Playing Fields.

In the third v fourth league encounter, Windsor took the lead in the fifth minute when defender Andrew Fleming fired home from Murray Macdougall’s corner. Spartans equalised minutes into the second half when Mark Mackay ran on to a square pass in the area to fire past keeper Grant Goodfellow. There was very little to separate the two sides as the half progressed and it seemed inevitable that they would have to settle for a point apiece.

But with two minutes left, Windsor grabbed a winner as Ross Greig sent substitute Liam Mitchell down the left flank and his pinpoint cross was converted by Lewis Kynoch.

Ben the hero for Cramond

Ben Martin’s hat-trick helped Cramond FC 16s progress to the second round of the Division 2 League Cup as they beat Spartans FC Blues 16s 3-0 at the Royal High School.

After a competitive first 15 minutes with little between the teams, Cramond got their noses in front when a ball over the top found the run of Martin and he sped through on goal to finish into the bottom right corner.

They doubled their lead in the 25th minute mark when Matthew Shaw combined with Charlie Cumming down the left before releasing Martin to finish from close range.

Cramond were on fire and they bagged a third goal just five minutes later. A corner into the Spartans box was only half cleared and Cumming picked up the loose ball before rifling a shot on goal that Martin touched in.

It was one-way traffic in the cup tie and, although Spartans improved after the break, there was no chance of them turning the game around. Cramond continued to press but settled for a three-goal victory.