Youths: Edinburgh City Whites 15s sparkle in cup

Edinburgh City Whites 15s proved too strong for their Division Three opponents at Forrester High School
Edinburgh City Whites 15s proved too strong for their Division Three opponents at Forrester High School
Have your say

Edinburgh City Whites 15s steered themselves into the third round of the Federation of Hearts Supporters Cup with a 6-0 victory over Spartans FC Whites at Forrester High School.

City went ahead after four minutes as James Williamson found the net after latching onto Struan Maclean’s pass.

The striker doubled his tally soon after, following up his initial shot off the crossbar to tap in.

Things got even better for City before the break when they added a third through Maclean’s composed finish then grabbed a fourth when Williamson completed his hat-trick.

After the break, Spartans played some good football but they weren’t able to cause City keeper Luca Scarpa too much trouble.

At the other end of the field, substitute Afolabi Osibanjo got City’s fifth as he held off Spartans defenders to finish off a fine move.

In the closing minutes, Zion Dixon provided a cool finish from five yards for City’s sixth.

• Leith Athletic Colts 14s march on

Leith Athletic Colts 14s made it seven wins out of eight in Division 3 as they overcame Salvesen CFC 3-1 at Leith Links.

After an even start, the game turned 25 minutes in when Salvesen goalkeeper Christopher Wood was shown a straight red for handling Dylan Greatorex’s shot outside the box.

From the resultant free-kick Leith went ahead as Josh Mill was first to react to a loose ball, sending an effort past outfielder Sean Linklater, who had taken charge between the sticks.

To their credit, Salvesen channelled their frustration positively and had an equaliser to show for their efforts soon after, Cameron Miller’s 20-yard strike leaving Leith goalie Nathan Watt with no chance.

As half-time loomed, Leith took advantage of the extra man when Greatorex’s corner was met by Mill, who scored his and Leith’s second of the game.

In the second half, Salvesen more than held their own, creating several chances but Leith sealed the victory when sub Chris Campbell followed up Greatorex’s shot to put his side joint top in the division.

• Hutchie 17s claim last-four spot

Hutchison Vale 17s edged into the semi-finals of the Victor Paris Bathrooms Cup with a 3-1 win over Tynecastle at Meggetland.

Hutchie began with purpose and got the breakthrough when Owen Richardson played a pinpoint through to Cammy Paton and he squared the ball to Fareid Yassein to fire home from close range. Things got even better for Hutchie five minutes later when Ross Watters bust a gut down the left before putting the ball on a plate for Paton to finish from six yards. Tynie were made to pay for a series of spurned opportunities just after the break when Watters followed up Yassein’s shot to make it 3-0.

Eventually, Tynie’s attacking efforts paid off with a consolation after 75 minutes. On the break, Cal Thayers was released in behind the Hutchie defence and he placed the ball into the bottom corner.