Youths: Extra-time agony for brave Broxburn 19s

BRAVE: Broxburn Athletic Colts 19s, pictured alongside younger club members, showed great spirit at Airdrie
BRAVE: Broxburn Athletic Colts 19s, pictured alongside younger club members, showed great spirit at Airdrie
Have your say

BROXBURN ATHLETIC COLTS 19s were narrowly edged out in their first-ever appearance in the Scottish Cup final, going down 4-3 to East End United BC 19s at Airdrie’s Excelsior Stadium.

The boys in red and white gave it all throughout the 90 minutes, showing great spirit to take the game to extra time, but unfortunately it wasn’t to be quite enough on the day.

After a nervy opening 30 minutes from both sides, it was East End who went ahead when Andrew O’Donnell struck a volley that left goalkeeper Craig Livingstone with no chance.

Broxburn tried to fashion a response but were unable to beat East End keeper Stewart Arkley before the break. After the interval, Reece Williamson doubled the Greenock side’s advantage and it sparked Broxburn to life.

Within the space of five minutes, they were on level terms thanks to sub Kyle Gray’s tap-in and Ross Nimmo’s penalty.

As the game headed towards full time, Cory Hughes headed United back ahead, but the West Lothian side rallied once more, bagging a dramatic late equaliser through Jamie Henderson’s towering header.

With the momentum in Broxburn’s favour, it looked like they would go and bag a winning goal in extra time. Sadly for the side from the Wes, substitute Bradley Anderson sent a sensational lob over Livingstone from the edge of the box to secure the coveted trophy for East End.

• North Merchiston 15s claim Division 2 League Cup

NORTH MERCHISTON 15s edged out Livingston FCBC 15s with a 3-1 scoreline to lift the Division 2 League Cup at Saughton Enclosure.

Despite a lively start from the West Lothian side, it was Merchie who struck the first blow. Nathan Gilmour made sure to follow up Kieren Cheshire’s initial shot to give his side the lead.

Despite opportunities for both sides, the score remained unchanged before the interval with a good defensive showing at each end. Then, after the restart, Livi came inches away from grabbing an equaliser, Matt Crosbie’s effort from outside the box flying just wide of the mark.

It was to be an opportunity squandered for Livingston as minutes later Merchie grabbed another. Andy Towns’ effort from the spot was well saved by Livi keeper Cameron McEwan, but the forward was first to the rebound to make it 2-0.

After Cheshire put his side out of sight with a third, Kyle Charles knocked in a penalty for Livi, but it was to be too little too late.

North Merchiston are looking to add to their silverware and, in Division 2, it looks set to go to the wire with three points separating the top four sides in the league.

• Tynecastle 15s are in it to Winnik

OWEN WINNIK grabbed a brace as Tynecastle 15s claimed the Federation Of Hearts Supporters Cup by beating Dalkeith CYP 15s 2-0 at Tynecastle.

Tynie took the lead 12 minutes in. Aaron Wilson created space down the left before cutting the ball back to Winnik for a straightforward tap-in five yards out. Dalkeith rallied and came close to finding an equaliser as the half drew to a close. Ryan Borthwick went for goal from 25 yards and his shot scraped the top of the crossbar.

Both sides were looking lively after the interval, knowing just how important the next goal was going to be. It was to be Tynie who doubled their advantage.

Daniel Purves got half a yard on his man and whipped a ball into Winnik to nod his side 2-0 up from close range.

Dalkeith pushed bodies forward in a bid to keep their cup dream alive but the boys in maroon stood firm at the back to ensure they would be crowned winners.