Youths: Extra-time strike sends Hutchie 16s through

Hutchison Vale Under-16s
Hutchison Vale Under-16s
Have your say

An extra-time winner sent Hutchison Vale under-16s through to the last-four of the Trans World Soccer Scottish Cup, with the age-group aiming to make it three national cup wins in a row.

Manchester United-bound Ethan Hamilton was the hero for Hutchie as he fired his side to a semi-final clash with Fernieside after a 3-2 win against Glasgow’s Harmony Row.

Hutchie went ahead on 20 minutes at Peffermill after a fairly even start in which neither side had much in the way of chances. Midfielder Gabriel Auriemma reacted quickest to flick the ball past Row keeper Reiss Dunn after a free-kick was swing into the box.

Ten minutes later and the hosts were in full control as Hamilton doubled their lead. Dunn couldn’t hold on to Cameron Milne’s initial strike and in came Hamilton with a simple finish.

Row hadn’t given Hutchie keeper Byron Gibb much to do in the first period. His first real task was to pick the ball out the back of his net, however, as the visitors pulled a goal back before the interval.

Stuart Faulds rounded off a lovely solo run as he strode through a couple of tackles before firing the ball under Gibb and into the bottom corner.Hutchie had to be alert early in the second-half as Row, buoyed by pulling a goal back at the end of the first period, went in search of an equaliser. Owen Crumlish came close, but couldn’t find the target from his angled drive, before Scott Paterson saw his strike tipped wide by Gibb.

The hosts had come close, too, with Aaron Currie cursing his luck as he crashed a strike from the edge of the box off the frame of Dunn’s goal.

Harmony were looking more dangerous as the second-half wore on, and with ten minutes remaining they got the equaliser their display merited. Gibb had done well to palm away a Paterson strike, but in came Declan MacDonald, who finished emphatically into the net.

Neither side could find the winner to prevent the tie going to extra-time in the remainder of the second-half, with Row having the better of the chances that came. However, it was Hutchie who were to find the winner.

Kieran Young gave Hutchie’s attack some impetus with a run from midfield, before passing out wide to Auriemma, and from his cross, Hamilton fired into the net.

Fernieside under-16s secured their place in the last-four of the Scottish Cup with an impressive 3-2 victory away to Aberdeenshire outfit Albion Boys’ Club.

Striker Charlie Adams fired the visitors ahead five minutes before half-time as he bundled into the net after Albion’s keeper had failed to hold onto Brandon Smith’s initial strike.

Albion were on level terms not long after the interval, but Fernie incredibly went ahead again just three minutes later as Ben Gardiner’s powerful strike flew into the net.

The hosts made it 2-2 midway through the second-half, before Adams got his second of the game as he fired Fernie into the semi-final. Albion’s keeper had come out of goal to narrow the angle as Adams surged into the box, but the striker showed great technique to lob the ball over the head of the stopper and over the line.

Leith Athletic under-16s will face Hutchison Vale in the final of the South East Region Cup after defeating Shotts YMCA Red, 2-1, at Meggetland.

Hosts Leith got off to a flyer after just two minutes when Calum Smart crashed a header into the net from Euan Stark’s cross.

Shotts gradually found their feet in the semi-final, and got an equaliser for their efforts on the half hour mark as Dale Baxter netted from the penalty spot.

Leith’s winner came on 55 minutes as Conor Prior headed into the net from Smart’s corner-kick to set up an intriguing Dunbar final against unbeaten Hutchison Vale.