Youths: Full steam ahead for Fernieside 13s

Fernieside 13s
Fernieside 13s
Have your say

Fernieside 13s extended their lead at the top of Division 4 with a hard-fought 2-0 win away to North Merchiston 13s at Harrison Park.

The home side piled on the pressure early on and were inches away from taking the lead with ten minutes on the clock. Mark Gibson drilled the ball across the face of goal from the right but Alsadeg Bilal couldn’t quite reach it.

It was the best of a handful of good opportunities Merchie had to go ahead in the opening stages but, against the run of play, Fernieside took the lead with their first shot on goal. Cameron Mcinnis latched a through ball and kept calm in front of goal to fire in.

The home side looked to respond before the break but a string of good saves from Fernieside’s Liam Lewis kept them out.

The game opened up in the second half and, despite the hosts having good chances, Fernieside found the net late on as Connor Fitzpatrick got in behind the defence to score.

• Young Stars shine bright

Musselburgh Young Stars 16s edged out Leith Athletic 16s with a narrow 1-0 victory at Leith Links in Division 1.

After both sides had adjusted to the wet and windy conditions, Leith almost went ahead when Paul Philip latched onto a through pass from Trevor O’Hara but skewed his effort marginally wide.

Musselburgh began to get more into the game and Scott Hay almost gave them the lead just before half-time. After breaking into the box. the No.8 hit a low shot into the bottom corner but it was well saved by Leith goalkeeper Ross Connelly.

It was a sign of things to come for the visitors, who continued to look dangerous on the attack. It didn’t take long before they grabbed the elusive goal. On the break, Musselburgh’s Connor Ramsay brought the ball forward and set up Liam Turner, who sprinted through on goal before rounding Connelly and dispatching the ball into the net.

• Easthouses edge points

Easthouses 19s ran out 2-1 winners in a tightly-contested Division 2 encounter against Edinburgh City 19s at Easthouses Complex.

Keen to close the gap on league leaders Spartans Youth 19s, the South Edinburgh side began strongly and they took the lead with two minutes on the clock.

With the Edinburgh City defence caught napping, Robbie Carter broke through on goal before rounding the goalkeeper and scoring.

The scoreline remained unchanged until the 70th minute when the hosts went 2-0 up, defender John Weir getting up to head home a rare goal for his side.

It spurred City on and they fought back to grab a goal ten minutes before the end as Ross Mitchell, on trial with the club, found the net to give the away side hope.

With two minutes left, the visitors thought they had levelled the scores. Scott Rae headed in a cross from the left by Mitchell but the referee deemed he was in an offside position and the effort was ruled out.