Youths: Hutchie Vale 16s turn the screw at top

Have your say

HUTCHISON VALE 16s opened up a five-point gap at the top of Division 1 as they beat Tynecastle 4-2 in an entertaining clash at Meadowbank 3G.

Despite Tynie being on top in the early stages, it was Hutchie who opened the scoring on 12 minutes when Gabriel Auriemma slotted home from the edge of the box after being picked out by Keiran Young.

Sonny Swanson then went close twice in quick succession for Tynie – firstly with a driven free-kick, then with a powerful drive from outside the area.

However, Hutchie doubled their lead a few minutes before half-time when Lewis Swaney netted a penalty. And soon after the interval they were 3-0 ahead. A neat passing move on the edge of the box resulted in the ball landing at Cameron Begbie’s feet, and the left-back dinked a wonderful first-time effort over Kieron Ross and into the top corner of the net.

Tynie, who had been knocking on the door, eventually pulled one back in 59 minutes when Bradley James Sinclair executed a sublime 30-yard half volley into the top corner after being fed wide on the right.

The goal gave Tynie a lift and they netted again just six minutes later. A cross was delivered from the right wing and Samer Lazim attempted to head in at the back post. His effort was blocked, but it landed at Bradley Fergie, who converted from eight yards out.

With Tynie looking for an equaliser, they left spaces at the back and Hutchie exploited this to seal the three points. With ten minutes remaining, striker Ryan Fox played a great through ball to Auriemma who rounded the advancing goalkeeper Ross to then pick his spot in the goals for 4-2. The victory leaves Hutchie five points clear of Cavalry Park, Musselburgh Windsor and Tynecastle, and the leaders also have games in hand over all their nearest challengers.

Meanwhile, Loanhead MYFC 17s were on song as they won 3-0 away to AC Oxgangs to maintain their outside chance of league title glory.

They trail joint leaders Edina Hibs and Leith Athletic by ten points but have three games in hand over the former and six in hand over the latter.

After 25 minutes, right-back Michael Hutchison made a run deep inside his own half, playing a one-two with Ryan Porteous 30 yards out, before slamming a lot shot beyond the goalkeeper.

Five minutes before the break, Loanhead went further ahead through Fraser Shearer. Connor Lawrie got the ball on the right wing and cut the ball across from the byline to Shearer, who tapped in from six yards.

The game’s final goal came shortly after half-time. Lawrie was involved again out wide and he produced another cutback, this time to Sam Jones, who scored from 15 yards as Loanhead stayed in the hunt for the title.

Elsewhere, Tranent Juniors under-21s beat Edinburgh University 2-0 on Saturday to reach the Murphy Trophy final.

In a tight affair, Division 1 side Tranent bagged two crucial second-half goals to see off their Division 2 opponents.

The opener came after 55 minutes when Hamish Hunter flicked the ball into the net after a corner caused havoc in the University box. Tranent sealed their win with 20 minutes left when Calum McClure went on a mazy down the right flank and played the ball across for Dave McIntosh, who forced the ball home at the second attempt.

Tranent await the winners of this Saturday’s semi-final between Tynecastle and Lochend.