Youths: Kai scores four in North Merchiston 13s win

North Merchiston 13s
North Merchiston 13s
Have your say

KAI BAILEY grabbed four goals as North Merchiston 13s ended Edinburgh City’s unbeaten league record in emphatic style with a 5-1 victory at Harrison Park.

It was Merchie who took the lead in the Division 3 clash, Bailey running onto a through pass and holding off the challenge from Finlay Byers to stab home. City rallied and it didn’t take long for them to find an equaliser, Lewis Meechan turning the ball home after a goalmouth scramble.

Merchie were back ahead just minutes later. Connor Cheshire struck a sweet first-time half volley that flew past keeper Boyd Gunn.

After the interval, Merchie extended their advantage. Bailey finished well with a dink over Gunn to make it 3-1 before grabbing his hat-trick with a thumping free-kick from 25 yards.

City were unlucky not to grab at least a second goal for their efforts before Bailey sent a rounded off the scoring.

Musselburgh Windsor Blues 16s hold on in thriller

Musselburgh Windsor Blues 16s held off a spirited second-half performance from Currie Star to progress to the third round of the South East Region Cup with a 4-3 win at Pinkie Playing Fields.

Windsor began strongly and Ryan O’Connor seized upon a loose ball in the box to put his side ahead on 20 minutes.

Aaron Abrahams added a second to extend Windsor’s lead before Ryan Brown pounced in the box with a clever finish to put the home side in control at the break.

Currie, though, fought back into the match after the interval. Reece Avinou saw his corner deceive everyone and end up in the back of the net to give them a lifeline.

Windsor replied with a penalty from Darin Waugh to temporarily halt the fightback but Daillie Simeon showed composure in the box to find the net twice to pull Currie to within just a goal of levelling the match.

With time ticking away, Currie continued to press but Windsor showed discipline to see off the threat and move into the next round of the competition.

Lenart’s late show for Edinburgh City Reds 14s

Edinburgh City Reds 14s scored late on to edge out Penicuik Athletic 3-2 in the second round of the South East Region Cup at Bog Road Playing Fields.

City found themselves in front with 12 minutes on the clock. Finlay Purdie threaded a ball through to Sam Lewis and he showed great composure to slot home. Then, before the break, Lewis doubled City’s advantage when he dinked the ball into the goal from the edge of the 18-yard box.

City were cruising but, after the break, Penicuik came storming back into the tie. Ben Viola cut inside from the right flank before stroking the ball home then, ten minutes later, Viola scored again when he turned the ball in after a goalmouth skirmish.

However, City grabbed a late winner through Mateusz Lenart to progress to the third round.