Youths: Leith Athletic win 12-goal thriller

Leith Athletic 2000s made it through to the second round of the Ian Mackay Cup. Picture: Scott Thomson
Leith Athletic 2000s made it through to the second round of the Ian Mackay Cup. Picture: Scott Thomson
Have your say

There were goals aplenty as Leith Athletic 2000s proved too strong for home side Edinburgh City 14s with an 8-4 win in the first round of the Ian Mackay Cup.

City started the brighter and were in front after just seven minutes when striker Zak Mason showed great determination after driving at the Leith defence to divert his shot into the net at the second attempt.

The goal sparked Leith into life and within only a few minutes they had taken the lead.

Lewis Eddington got the equaliser before Jack Enguidanos found the net after a good passing move involving Matthew Scotland and Grant Doyle.

Striker Doyle made it three for Leith after brushing off his marker to break into the box and finish past Dean Shearsby.

Leith took a three-goal lead in controversial circumstances through Eddington before half-time. With the City players stopping to a halt after the flag appeared to have gone up on the Leith touchline, referee Paul Macbeth waved play on and Eddington was able to slide the ball into the net.

City’s players were despondent and Leith took full advantage as they then raced into a six-goal lead.

Midfielder Michael Shaw was a standout for the away side and he was involved in their fifth and sixth goals.

Shaw set up substitute Mikey Monaghan, who produced a good finish inside the box, before a great ball which had evaded the City defence met Fraser Murdie, who controlled well before rounding Shearsby and passing into the net.

Murdie made it seven with a header and at this stage it appeared Leith could score as many as they wanted, with their attack on fire and their defence in control – in particular the outstanding Cameron Coppola. – a rock at the heart of the Leith defence.

City pulled a goal back through Ross McKenzie, before Murdie grabbed his hat-trick for Leith. Two further goals from Mason and David Bruce for City reduced the deficit to four, but Leith were well on their way to the second round.

Meanwhile, Tynecastle 16s took all three points with a 2-1 win in a second-versus-third Division 1 clash against Leith Athletic at Meadowbank.

Daryl Henderson, Tynecastle’s captain, grabbed the winner with just three minutes of the match remaining – a goal that put his side just two points behind league leaders Hutchison Vale.

Leith took a first half lead through Conal Prior, whose delightful back-heel found the net past Kieran Green after Marco McBride had set him up.

Tynecastle restored parity through Jake Henderson, who found the net from 12 yards out before half-time.

And, with just three minutes to go, Daryl Henderson stroked the ball into the net with Leith goalkeeper Aaron King out of position.

Leith had a chance to find a late leveller through Coll Reekie’s free kick but Tynecastle number one Green produced a wonder save to tip the ball over the bar.