Youths: Musselburgh Windsor Blues 13s edge cup tie

Musselburgh Windsor Blues 13s were ahead, behind and ahead again in and end-to-end cup tie
Musselburgh Windsor Blues 13s were ahead, behind and ahead again in and end-to-end cup tie
Have your say

Musselburgh Windsor Blues 13s tasted derby delight as they grabbed an extra-time 4-3 victory over Musselburgh Young Stars 13s in the Ken Ritchie Cup second round.

In freezing conditions at Pinkie Playing Fields, Young Stars got the cup tie underway on the 3G and quickly the game opened up. Windsor’s Nathan Muir had the first real chance of the game five minutes in when he dived to head Ben Dixon’s cross just wide of the mark.

It was an early sign Windsor were going to be dangerous and minutes later Muir was in the thick of the action again to help give his side the lead. Just outside the box he played in Aaron Faulds who dinked the ball over keeper Ritchie McArthur.

The reaction from Young Stars was swift though and they equalised from the restart of play. Reuben Simpson tried his luck with a cheeky lob from outside the area and it made its way over the head of goalie Aaron Grieve before nestling in the back of the net.

The end-to-end pattern of play was to be a constant theme throughout and with the score at 1-1 both sides had everything to play for. As the half progressed it was clear more goals were going to come as Windsor and Young Stars pressed forward in abundance. Windsor took the lead once again after 20 minutes. Ryan McKechnie did the leg work with a run down the right before feeding the ball for Muir to touch, turn and finish into the bottom right corner from seven yards.

Once again though Young Stars fought back to pull the scores level and it was no less than they deserved for their efforts by the end of the first half. From a Windsor corner, the ball was hoofed up-field to halfway where Simpson took it down before bursting to the box and lifting an effort high into the goal for 2-2.

It had been an entertaining opening 35 minutes and the attacking efforts of both sides continued after the break. After Isaac Johnston went close for Young Stars with a long-range shot, Faulds almost grabbed another for Windsor but, with time and space to shoot in the box, he dragged his effort wide of the right-hand post.

Another goal seemed inevitable and this time it was Young Stars who found the net to take the lead for the first time in the game. Simpson was in the thick of the action once more for his side when he sent a crashing half volley in at the near post from Will Swans’ corner for his hat-trick.

Incredibly, the pendulum of the game swung once again the way of Windsor just five minutes later. It was Muir this time to claim a hat-trick, as he chased onto a ball down the left before cutting into the box and lashing an effort into the bottom right corner, making it 3-3.

With 15 minutes to go both sides looked desperate to find a winner but there was nothing separating the two teams.

Into extra time the game was well-poised to go either way but it was Windsor who struck at the start of the second period. Muir notcched his hat-trick when he tucked away Dixon’s square pass from close range to make it 4-3. Young Stars valiantly rallied in response late on but keeper Aaron Grieve kept did well to keep out Charlie Wilson and Riley Grieve as they came close to taking the game to penalties in the final few minutes.

Musselburgh Windsor Blues 13s: Aaron Grieve, Josh Noble, Ryan Sweeney, Patrick Fraser, Kyle O’Brien, Louis Robertson, Rico Fairnie, Ryan McKechnie, Aaron Faulds, Ben Dixon, Neil Canavan, Ben Gairn, Nathan Muir, Adam Jeffries, Fraser Hoskin.

Musselburgh Young Stars 13s: Ritchie McArthur, Kieran Wellwood, Wills Swan, Samuel Reid, Mikey Gavana, Riley Grieve, Andrew Eunson, Aidan Campbell, Reuben Simpson, Cameron Martin, Murray Wilson, Isaac Johnston, Charlie Wilson.