Youths: Narrow win for Currie Star Colts 14s

Currie Star Colts 14s
Currie Star Colts 14s
Have your say

Currie Star Colts 14s picked up three points as they edged past Salvesen with a hard-earned 1-0 win in Division 3 at Malleny Park.

Salvie were awarded a penalty early on for a foul on Sean Linklater. Aiden Duthie took responsibility for the spot-kick but Currie goalie Owen Nolan did well to keep the ball out.

As the half progressed, it was Salvie who continued to have the majority of the play and they came within inches of breaking the deadlock – not once but twice. Linklater and Zane Ewart tried efforts from outside the box but both rattled the crossbar.

There had been little between the two teams and that theme continued after the interval. It was Currie, though, that made their moment in front of goal count early in the second half when Sam Grant sent through Kevin Essah and he rifled the ball into the top-left corner.

Late on, Salvie pushed hard for an equaliser but Currie held firm at the back and held on to take all three points.

Bonnyrigg Rose 21s are five alive

Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic A 21s produced a five-star performance to defeat Musselburgh Windsor and reach the final of the Stewart Brown Cup.

Rose began brightly at King George V Park as they looked to record back-to-back wins over their opponents. By the tenth minute, they had their noses in front, Tyron McLean coolly scoring from the penalty spot.

Windsor were slow to get going but they grew into the game as the half went on and were rewarded for their persistence. Jack McIntyre picked up a loose ball in the box to rifle in an equaliser.

But it was Rose who ended the half on top as centre half Danny Greig latched onto a clearance to smack the ball in from the edge of the box.

The goal knocked the stuffing out of Windsor and, after the break, Rose ran away with the game.

After Scott Waugh struck a third, Duncan Muir added a fourth as he raced through on goal to slot home.

The tie was done and dusted but Rose still had time to add a fifth late on as Waugh grabbed another following a goalmouth scramble.

Redhall Star 16s have a Gala day

Redhall Star 16s finally had the weather on their side as they defeated Gala Fairydean Rovers 2-0 in Divison 2 at Netherdale 3G.

After seeing the game called off three times across January and February due to snow, Star were relieved to see the game go ahead.

There was little between the two sides in the first half. Shots were limited to efforts from outside the box with neither team really testing the other’s goalkeeper.

Into the second half and, after a stern talking to at the break, Star upped their efforts and took the lead five minutes in. Tommy Hendry turned his man inside out down the left-hand side before feeding Adam Shortiss’s determined run to score from close range.

Rovers were rocked and Star continued to probe the opposition defence.

Substitute Antony Little thought he had bagged his side’s second of the afternoon but the referee ruled his effort out for offside.

It wasn’t to matter, though, as Star found another not long after and in some style. Tommy Hendry weaved his way through several opponents before sending a thunderbolt of a strike from 30 yards into the top corner.