Youths: Tynecastle 13s pounce to leave cup rivals in a Stew

Tynecastle FC 13s
Tynecastle FC 13s
Have your say

Tynecastle FC 13s progressed to the Stewart Brien Cup second round with a 2-1 win over Longniddry Villa at Saughton.

The tie started slowly with neither side causing the other too much of a problem. However, with 18 minutes on the clock, Tynie started to threaten. Joe Jukes hit a precise pass down the left-and channel into Charlie Nairn and he steered his shot just wide of the Longniddry goal.

Tynie had multiple chances to break the deadlock in the minutes that followed – only to see Longniddry put the ball in the net. Archie Wilson steered the ball in from close range but the referee ruled the goal out for offside.

The game looked like remaining goalless going into the break but Tynie scored twice on the stroke of half-time. Jukes’ free-kick on the left picked out Jamil Elbahi to make it 1-0 before Nairn raced through on goal to fire past goalkeeper David McConnell.

Into the second half, Longniddry found an early goal as Michael Hart was first to react in the box to a loose ball.

As the half progressed, both sides had chances to score again but another goal wasn’t going to come and Tynie held on for victory.

• Windsor tie AC in knots

Musselburgh Windsor 19s picked up three points in Division 1 as they defeated AC Oxgangs Blacks 4-1 at Pinkie Playing Fields.

With 20 minutes on the clock, Mussie grabbed the advantage. Callum Downie beat his man on the left wing before delivering a cross that Sean Brown tucked away nicely.

It had been one-ay traffic throughout the first half but, on the stroke of half-time, Oxgangs got on level terms with their first real chance of the afternoon. Jacob Moss got the final touch in a goalmouth scramb;e to make it 1-1.

It was a shock to the system for Mussie and they came out firing on all cylinders in the second half. Ross McLaren ran through in behind the Oxgangs defence to score before Brown used his head to make it 3-1.

Right-back Ross Hope capped a convincing victory as he got down the wing to cut inside and lash in.

• Cup progress for Cramond

Cramond FC 17s came through a tricky Craig Gowans Memorial Cup fourth round tie at home to Musselburgh Windsor with a 2-1 victory.

At the Royal High School, Cramond deservedly took the lead. Leon Ronaldson hit a rasping shot from distance that crashed off the Mussie crossbar, allowing Kalvin Nicol a free header into the goal from close range.

Cramond were on top in the early stages but, out of nowhere, Mussie got back into the game. On 20 minutes, Kyle McFadden hit a sweet volley from 30 yards that flew into the opposition goal.

With five minutes remaining of the first half, Cramond fought back to retake the lead. A short corner on the right-hand side by Ronaldson caught Mussie off guard, allowing Jon Hannah to hit a diagonal shot from the corner of the box into the far left of the goal.

It would prove to be a deserved winning goal as, although both sides had chances in the second half and Mussie gave it their all late on, Cramond held out for the win.