Youths: Tynecastle hit goal trail in cup win

Tynecastle 14s
Tynecastle 14s
Have your say

TYNECASTLE 14S swept aside Tranent Colts in the first round of the South East Region Cup with a 7-1 win at Saughton.

Tranent, to their credit, defended admirably in the opening 35 minutes but could do little to prevent Tynie from going in 2-0 up at the break.

After Evan Scott fired the ball in from the edge of the area, Ross Watson scored a second thanks to great vision from Sami El Yamani.

Tynecastle pushed on after the break with substitute Chris McCallum scoring and then setting up Ivan Alapiki to make it 4-0.

Tynie added two more through Scott Jardine’s tap-in before Blair Ramage did well down the right-hand side before cutting in and firing into the far corner. Kieran Ngwenya added a seventh as he sent a well-weighted lob over the head of Tranent goalkeeper.

Adam Dunlop gave Tranent something to cheer at the end with a nice finish from inside the box.

• Cramond 16s hit back to clinch cup victory

CRAMOND FC 16s came from behind to book their spot in the second round of the Scottish Cup with a 4-1 win over Edinburgh City at Forrester High School.

City grabbed a deserved opening goal ten minutes in when Moray McIntyre broke free of his marker to send the ball into the bottom-left corner. Ten minutes later, the whole dynamic of the game changed when City were reduced to ten men after conceding a penalty. Matthew Shaw slotted home to level the scores.

The ten men of City kept battling but Cramond went ahead five minutes into the second half when Ben Martin chased on Shaw’s pass down the left before outpacing his marker to find the back of the net.

Two goals in the final ten minutes settled the tie. Gregor Ashworth took his moment in front of goal well when he volleyed in Brodie Mcdiarmid’s cross from inside the box. Then, Shaw doubled his tally for the day when he whipped a free-kick round the City wall.

• Preston Athletic 17s resist Cavalry charge

PRESTON ATHLETIC 17s held off a resurgent second-half performance from Cavalry Park to win 4-3 at Duddingston Playing Fields and progress to the next round of the Craig Gowans Memorial Cup.

Although both teams had a fairly even amount of possession in the first half, it was Athletic who took their chances in front of goal with two well-taken finishes on the break. Lewis Mitchell grabbed the first from close range before John Brewser scored the first of a hat-trick with a fine effort.

Cavalry Park’s Jack Lyon saw his header ruled out as the first half drew to a close.

After the interval, Brewser added two more to make it 4-0 to Preston.

Cavalry Park coach Dougie Anderson made some changes to the shape of his side and it didn’t take long to have an effect. Ben Irvine set up Tom Lacey for a delicate lob to get his side on the scoresheet before Irvine provided the assist again for Stuart Mackrell to make it 4-2. Irvine then found the net himself as Cavalry continued to rally but Preston managed to hold on to see the game out, despite a late penalty shout for Cavalry Park.