Lowland League: On-loan Hearts kid at double for Civil

Preston beaten in cup by Leith

Monday, 31st October 2016, 5:30 am
Updated Monday, 31st October 2016, 8:55 am
Russell McLean scored two penalties for Civil Service Strollers

Civil Service Strollers 4

Dalbeattie Star 2

Strollers stunned Dalbeattie, who had started the day second in the table. After just two minutes, a Chris Milligan cross broke to David Churchill at the back post and he smashed the ball into the net. Six minutes later, it was two. A good through ball from Matty Cunningham was collected in the wide area by Steven Froude, who he drove in on goal. His shot was well saved by Dalbeattie goalkeeper Parker, but the ball rebounded to Froude who he stroked home. With half-time approaching, a long through ball was headed back towards goal by Civil’s Robbie Laird. The ball fell short and Stuart Burnside brought down the advancing forward to concede a penalty. Burnside made a great save from Muir’s penalty although Dalbeattie did get a goal back on half-time through Slattery. After the hour-mark, Civil were awarded a penalty when a Dalbeattie defender handled. Young on-loan Hearts player Russell McLean slotted home for 3-1, and then hit the bar with a chipped effort. Dalbeattie pushed three men up front and were rewarded with a goal in the 76th minute when a corner was not cleared and the ball was prodded into the net by Slattery. With seven minutes left, Civil were awarded a second penalty which McLean scored into the opposite corner to his first kick.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Civil Service Strollers: Burnside, Milligan, Dingwall, Kidd (Milven), Laird, Churchill (Newall), Campbell, Cunningham, Downie (Stewart), McLean, Froude. Subs: Clapperton, Turnbull

Dalbeattie Star: Parker, Maxwell, Thorburn, Dunglinson, Trialist, Wells, Slattery, Todd, Muir, Batty, Park. Subs: Wilson, Ferguson, Proudlock, Mason, Degnam, Cathro.

Selkirk 2

Edinburgh University 3

Selkirk took the lead on nine minutes, Ritchie on hand to shoot past Tait. After 17 minutes, McCrory-Irving sent in a deep cross that was missed by the Selkirk defenders. Guthrie was lurking at the back post and chested the ball down before lashing home a deserved equaliser. On 33 minutes, Guthrie set up Bruce Scott, who coolly slotted the ball home under the Selkirk keeper. University made it 3-1 early in the second half after good build-up play led to McMillan playing a one-two before sliding the ball to Guthrie. He slipped the ball under Tshibago. Within a minute Selkirk were at the other end and Tait made a magnificent save with his feet from a short-range drive to keep the two-goal advantage intact. With the game all but over a cross from the right hit the hand of McMillan, who was booked and Selkirk player-manager Garry O’Connor converted the penalty easily to set up a frantic last couple of minutes.

Selkirk: Tshibago, Christie, Ritchie, Harley (O’Connor), Fleming, Miller, King, Neil (Collins) Neave, Baxter, Addison. Subs: Doyle, Beagley. Subs: Doyle, Beagley.

Edinburgh Uni: Tait, Smith, McMillan, Irvine, Verkaik, Daniels-Yoeman, Boath (Swan), Ritchie, Guthrie, McCrory-Irving (McNicholas), Scott (Murray). Sub: Davidson.

Whitehill Welfare 1

BSC Glasgow 5

With 17 minutes played, Aiden Ferris lobbed Bryan Young to put BSC Glasgow on their way to a thumping win. On the half-hour, Ricardo Corrieri used his pace to get the wrong side of Charlie Denton and made it 2-0 with an angled shot. Early in the second half Whitehill got themselves back in the game when Scott McCulloch found Daryl Healy, who scored past Joe Wilton. Any threat of a comeback was shortlived though as BSC’s first-half goalscorers combined and Ferris headed in at the back post to make it 3-1. On 75 minutes Corriero also grabbed his second, latching onto an Arnault Bembo through ball to slot past Young. With a minute left it was 5-1 as Joe Irvine unselfishly found his fellow substitute Ryan Holms and his shot went under the keeper and just over the line.

Whitehill Welfare: Young, Hall, Murray (Keane 32), Williams, Swann, Manson (Gormley 61), King, Osborne, Denton (Russell 80), McCulloch, Healy Subs: O’Hara, Arthur, Jardine.

BSC Glasgow: Wilton, Duncan, Keys, Toner, Bell, Redpath, Cunningham, Bembo, Ferris (Holms 80), Woods (Irvine 87), Corrieri (Beckett 85) Subs: Niven, Barr.


Preston Athletic 1

Leith Athletic 2

Two late goals sealed Leith’s path into the third round. The home side were ahead on 11 minutes when Ross Colquhoun’s cross squeezed through and fell nicely to Neil Shave to coolly slot home. Leith’s Kerr Allan hit the post but they equalised on 75 minutes when Rhys Craigie set up Scott Wilson. Gavin Kneeshaw curled home the winner past Bruce Callan.

Preston Athletic: Callan, Cowan, Cochrane (Graham), McLeod, Siegel, Colquhoun, Ritchie, Innes, Shave, Neto, Lawson (Erskine). Subs: Baines, Law.

Leith Athletic: Gordon, McKinlay, Fee, Lowson, Melvin, Wilkie, Combe (Ferguson), Allan (Beaton), Hainey, Wilson, Craigie (Kneeshaw). Subs: Burns, Hall, Tracey, Fairnie.