Livingston boss Mark Burchill says he is on the verge of appointing an assistant manager at the relegation-threatened West Lothian club.
And there could be further good news for Livingston supporters this week with Burchill also closing in on deals for two new players – a much-needed boost after the club’s transfer embargo, which had been in place since mid-August for failure to declare tax over bonus payments, was revoked on Hogmanay.
The 34-year-old player/manager, who stepped off the subs’ bench during the second half of Saturday’s 1-1 stalemate with struggling Cowdenbeath, has been operating without a No.2 since replacing John McGlynn who was relieved of his duties last month.
Livi remain seven points from safety at the foot of the Championship ahead of this weekend’s clash with Alloa, the Clackmannanshire outfit five points better off than Burchill’s side in ninth.
“We’re getting closer,” the former Celtic and Hearts striker said with regards to the imminent arrival of some fresh faces in and around the dressing-room. “I’ve seen the Harry Redknapp’s of this world who like talking about other teams’ players, but I’m keeping my cards close to my chest on this one until I get people signed. But I’m very close to getting an assistant manager as well so that will be great to get that sorted out, hopefully sometime this week.
“It will be great to have somebody beside me as it will help both myself and the players.
“You want someone who has been involved in football somewhere along the line and can add a wee bit experience to what I know.”
Asked if he was concerned over last week’s guilty verdict by the SFA regarding principle shareholder Neil Rankine’s dual interest with League Two outfit East Fife and the ramifications that might incur, Burchill said: “No I’m not as that’s above our head.
“I spoke to the board on Saturday morning so that won’t affect us. We’re just 100 per cent concentrated on keeping the team in the league.”
Meanwhile, former Hearts Under-19 striker Rob Ogleby has left the club by mutual consent after having his contract terminated. The 23-year-old has been plagued by injury since signing from Wrexham in the summer and failed to score in any of his 16 appearances for the Lions.