Scott Brown goal ends leaders’ winning run of seven

Edinburgh ROSE continued 
their unbeaten run in the
Lothian and Edinburgh AFA Premier Division 1 season with a 1-0 win against top of the table Sandys at Castleview Centre.

Tuesday, 27th November 2012, 12:00 pm

Sandys had won their previous seven matches and had been scoring freely in the process, but Scott Brown’s goal after 40 minutes – a lob that dipped at the last moment – ensured Rose went home with the 
spoils, although goalkeeper David Sorley pulled off a marvellous save to deny Sandys who also hit the post in the final stages of the match.

Edinburgh Rose secretary Les Woolard said: “We have not been playing that well in the last few weeks but we battled until the end. It is our first season in the Premier Division 1 so we are just taking each game as it comes.”

Sandys secretary Patrick Mason felt Rose deserved the three points. He said: “Edinburgh Rose were probably the better team throughout.”

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Sandys will look to bounce back this weekend in the Scottish Amateur Cup. They face a long trip away to Scottish Amateur Football League members Oban Saints.

Leishman is spot king

Heriot VALE edged a 
thrilling Scottish Amateur Cup encounter with Uphall Station 5-4 at Craigswood.

It came right down to the wire as Heriot Vale scored the winner in the last minute when Jordan Leishman converted his second penalty of the match to see Vale through. Uphall Station had a penalty 
appeal turned down moments before.

Uphall Station opened the floodgates in the first half when Steven Fleming struck his shot into the top left corner.

Leishman scored his first penalty of the match to equalise, and Pieyam Khosrowpour then gave Vale the lead.

Fleming added his second goal to ensure the first half ended level.

Patrick Bonthrone also grabbed a brace in the second half. His two goals put Heriot Vale 4-2 up.

Uphall replied through goal machine Bamba Jobarteh, before a stunning 25-yard strike by George McGregor took the scoreline to 4-4.

In the final few minutes, Uphall were aggrieved when they had a penalty appeal turned down.

Heriot Vale countered and won a penalty themselves, which Leishman dispatched to put his team through to the fourth round. They will travel to Fife to play Dysart FC this weekend.

Meanwhile, Uphall Station will open their East of Scotland Cup campaign with a home tie against Polmont FC.

Polbeth up to sixth

Polbeth UNITED beat local rivals West Lothian 2-1 in the Edinburgh West division at Uphall.

The last time the two teams met it finished 5-3 to Polbeth, and it proved to be a close encounter once again.

The new West Lothian management team of Keith and Steven Pow were not able to win their first match in charge, but there were positives to be taken from their performance. Secretary Shaun Sweeney said: “It went relatively well for us in Keith and Steven’s first match and I think we commanded the game. It was a few mistakes that let us down.”

James Mewland scored both goals for Polbeth as they climbed to sixth in the league.

Mewland’s first goal came in the first half, as he powered the ball into the net with his trademark left foot. West Lothian equalised after 50 minutes. Tam Yates’ free kick hit the crossbar and Gary Pollock was in the right place to divert the ball into the net.

Jordan Wilson nearly gave West Lothian the lead. His superb 35-yard shot looked destined for the top corner but the Polbeth United keeper dived high to save spectacularly.

It took until the final few minutes for the teams to be separated. Mewland’s simple tap-in ensured that Polbeth United took the three points.

Polbeth United secretary Stephen Russell felt both teams worked hard to get the result, saying: “It was a hard fought match between the two teams.”

The result leaves West Lothian in tenth position in the league. Polbeth United continue their league campaign on Saturday, playing Cabrera Athletic at Saughton 3G. West Lothian welcome Caledonia Star to Meadow Park in the first round of the Anderson Cup.