Seniors: Boss proud as Easthouses dump students

Easthouses Lily boss Dave McQueenie. Picture: Colin Hattersley
Easthouses Lily boss Dave McQueenie. Picture: Colin Hattersley
Have your say

Easthouses Lily manager Dave McQueenie hailed his players for causing a cup upset at the weekend, where the First Division side emerged from Peffermill with a 3-0 win over top-tier Edinburgh University

McQueenie’s men dominated their Premier Division opponents in the South Challenge Cup (North and East) first-round tie, with Ally Elliot’s double and John Hunter’s single strike setting the Midlothian club on the road to victory.

The Lily boss has now seen his men pull off a series of impressive results against more illustrious opponents in recent months. He said: “It was a very good team performance and result against Premier League opposition.”

Meanwhile, Uni manager Dorian Ogunro promised to impart some home truths to his players at training this week after admitting his side were flattered by the three-goal margin of defeat.

Ogunro said: “It was easily our worst performance of the season. We were mentally and physically awful and deserved to lose by more.”

Meanwhile, Leith Athletic overcame Hawick Royal Albert to progress to the second round, with manager Derek Riddel happy with his side’s form ahead of their Alex Jack Cup final this weekend.

Leith will face Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale this Sunday at Civil Service Strollers’ home ground in Marine Drive. Their players showed no little appetite for a starting spot in Leith’s cup final line-up as they swept aside Hawick 4-2 at Albert Park. Lewis Tracey and Euan Campbell both bagged doubles for Leith, while Peter Keenan and Nicky Cairns replied for hosts Hawick. Campbell has now scored seven goals in Leith’s last four fixtures, but it was the visitors’ overall performance that satisfied Riddel.

“I’m really pleased with how we played and we put together a very good performance on a tough pitch,” said Riddel. “We scored some good goals and, while the goals we lost were disappointing, it was good to get the win and get through. We go into the final high on confidence.”

Ormiston boss Murray Cheyne was left bewildered after his side threw away a 3-1 lead before eventually losing to Burntisland Shipyard on penalties. In the end, a Scott Wright brace and goals from Craig Fisher and Sean Miller proved insufficient for Ormi, who lost 4-3 on penalties after a 4-4 draw.

“There isn’t a lot to say after losing a game which we were winning comfortably at half time,” said Cheyne. “Credit to Burntisland for keeping playing. When it went to penalties, they were running on the adrenaline of having got the game back very late in extra time and their goalkeeper made two good saves. That’s the way it goes sometimes.”

Civil Service Strollers were sent crashing out of the cup after finding themselves on the wrong end of an 8-0 defeat at home to Lowland League outfit Stirling University.

Strollers boss Andy Raeburn said there was little excuse for a forgettable home display.

“Although we had about five players out injured, there are no excuses as we simply didn’t turn up,” he said.

Three all-Borders ties completed the first-round fixture list in the competition. Gala Fairydean Rovers emerged 5-2 winners at home to fellow Lowland League side Selkirk.

East of Scotland clubs Coldstream and Eyemouth United played out an eight-goal thriller at Home Park, where Streamers ran out 5-3 victors. At Woodside Park, Kelso United beat another First Division outfit, Duns, by 4-2 after a ‘perfect’ hat-trick by Jordan Lauder, who scored with his right foot, left foot, and head.

In the only Qualifying League tie, Berwick Rangers Reserves recorded a comfortable 4-0 win over Peebles Rovers to move level on points with second-placed Spartans.