Tynecastle, Leith Ath and LTHV progress in Qualifying Cup

Euan Campbell scored for Leith Athletic (library pic)
Euan Campbell scored for Leith Athletic (library pic)
Have your say

TYNECASTLE boss Dougie Dalgleish was full of praise for his young charges as the East of Scotland club overcame Lowland League side University of Stirling 2-1 for a place in the third round of the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup.

Following a goalless first half, Jamie Devlin swept Tynie into the lead at Fernieside, but their higher-tier opponents drew level ten minutes from full time. Gavin McCarthy then prodded in a loose ball following a penalty box melee to hand his side a late winner and send Dalgleish’s men through.

“We were up for the challenge from the start and played really well,” said Dalgleish. “We knew it would be tough, but the boys responded well and played well throughout the game.”

Tynie defended against the wind in the first half and appeared more attack-minded during the second, taking the game to their opponents.

“There might have been a gulf between the teams, but there certainly wasn’t on the day,” said Dalgleish. “With such a young team, it’s so pleasing to see them respond to the coach’s instructions.”

Tynie will look to repeat the trick this coming weekend when they visit University of Stirling on duty in the South Challenge Cup.

Also in the hat for the third round of the Qualifying Cup are Leith Athletic, who required extra time to overcome fellow Premier Division strugglers Heriot-Watt University 2-1 at Riccarton.

Euan Campbell bagged both goals for Leith, his first handing them a half-time lead. Watt equalised through Hugo Lopez with five minutes of regulation time 
remaining, but another Campbell strike saw Leith edge the hosts in extra time.

Watt boss Chris Smith was left to regret the decision to revert to a more conservative formation in extra time, having seen a successful switch to a 3-4-3 line-up provide his side with the late leveller.

“Changing to 3-4-3 worked, but we should have kept pressing, although that’s easy to say in hindsight,” said Smith.

In the first round of the competition, Sean Wringe’s hat-trick saw Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale progress at the expense of hosts Easthouses Lily in a Midlothian goalfest. Scott Moffat scored twice for Lothian, who emerged with a 6-4 win after a 3-3 draw in regulation time, while Lily ended the match with nine men after two red cards in extra time.