Whitehill boss Carnie reluctantly settles for a point gained

Whitehill Welfare manager Grant Carnie felt the end result was about right after his side played out a 1-1 draw with Selkirk at Ferguson Park.

Greg Kerr scores for Whitehill. Picture: Jon Savage
Greg Kerr scores for Whitehill. Picture: Jon Savage

Greg Kerr gave Welfare an early lead, only for Bayan Fenwick to claim a point for Garry O’Connor’s side with a late equaliser.

Carnie felt his side had chances to take all three points. “Was a draw fair? Yes and no.” He said. “We had chances to win the game as well. Greg’s one-on-one with the goalie and hit it over the bar, and Callum Connolly’s had one as well, but maybe 1-1 was right over the piece. We create so many chances that it’s getting a bit scary now that we’re not just putting the ball in to the back of the net. We got beat last Wednesday night and we should never have been beaten with the amount of chances we created. If you don’t score you then put yourself under pressure.”

Selkirk keeper Jamie Newman could do nothing to prevent his side falling behind on ten minutes however. On-loan St Johnstone striker Kerr kept his composure to lift the ball past Newman and into the far corner for his second goal in three games.

Selkirk had been pressuring Whitehill without creating much of note. A clever throw-in from the left allowed Phill Addison a sight of goal, but his volley flew high over Bryan Young’s crossbar.

Young then had to be brave to block at the feet of Ross King and reacted sharply to divert Scott Ritchie’s follow-up wide for a corner. King got more on his effort after 28 minutes, but again Young was down well to hold his low drive.

Bayan Fenwick was next to work Young after a sharp turn and volley in the area, but again the Whitehill keeper was equal to it and held on.

Carnie’s side began the second period on the front foot with captain Callum Connolly firing over after a neat one-two on the edge of the area with Stevie Manson.

Selkirk thought they’d levelled when John Pyper connected sweetly with a left foot volley following a Garry Kenneth knock down. It had Young beaten all ends up, but crashed off the underside of the bar and back out. Claims it had crossed the line were ignored, although the lack of assistant referees didn’t help the decision-making process.


Hide Ad

Connolly again went close at the other end, Newman blocking his shot at the near post with his legs.

Kerr should have had his and Whitehall’s second shortly after when through on goal, but his attempted chip was too high and sailed over.

Selkirk finally got what was probably a deserved equaliser with seven minutes remaining. Fenwick showed good composure to stroke home after being picked out with a cut back in the area. Young got a hand to his placed effort, but couldn’t keep it out.

The game stretched in the last five, with Connolly picking out Connor McGregor at the back post, but his powerful drive was held by Newman. Andy Martin then had a chance to win it in stoppage time, but he could only fire over.


Hide Ad

Carnie praised the impact Kerr has made. “He’s come in and got another goal,” he said. “He’s come here to try and get game time. Sometimes when you get young laddies in it either works or it doesn’t, but he’s got an eye for goal and it was a good finish.”

Whitehill Welfare: Young, Martin, O’Hara, Murray, Williams, McGlashan, McGregor, Connolly, Kerr (range 80), Anderson (Knight 78), Manson.

Selkirk: Newman, Pyper, Christie, Kenneth (Samson 73), McDiarmid (Collin 88), Ritchie, King, Robertson, Butler, Fenwick, Addison.