Youth Football: Star enjoy some six-y football

Doubles from Jack McNab and Shaun Smith helped put Star 'A' Cyp through
Doubles from Jack McNab and Shaun Smith helped put Star 'A' Cyp through
Have your say

STAR ‘A’ CYP under-14s are through to the final of the David Innes Cup after thrashing Edinburgh City 99s 6-1 at Forrester 3G.

Star went ahead when Jack McNab cleverly lobbed the ball into the net and the same player made it 2-0 when he finished off a fine passing move.

City did pull one back through Andrew Johnstone but Star’s Shaun Smith made it 3-1 shortly after. Robbie Gay then made it 4-1 before the break to put Star firmly in the ascendency and the fifth came when Smith’s run and cross down the right was turned in by Gregor Pollock from close range. Smith then got his second of the match with a fine solo effort, skipping past a couple of opponents before dispatching the ball home in clinical fashion for his 30th goal of the season.

Star coach David Duncanson was delighted with the application shown from his players.

He said: “We fully deserved our victory and were by far the better side. Our goalkeeper didn’t have a touch of the ball in the second half. The final won’t be played until next year but we are already looking forward to it. This will be the second cup final the players have reached after making to it one last year.”

Windsors share spoils

The spoils were shared in the Musselburgh derby as both Windsor FC and Windsor United under-15s battled out a 1-1 draw in their Division 1 clash at Pinkie St Peters.

Windsor FC have so far held their own in the top division after earning promotion from Division 2 last season, while United are sitting third top taking 14 points from their nine league fixtures so far.

Windsor FC’s John Cullen said: “It was a typical derby to be honest. Neither side were holding back but a draw was probably a fair result. United had the better of the first half but we had the second with their goalkeeper Kieran Ross having several great saves.”

United took a deserved lead ten minutes before the break when a corner from the left was initially cleared by the Windsor FC defence, but when the ball was floated back in towards the back post, Jamie Stewart was there to knock the ball home.

However, Windsor FC carried the momentum in the second period and grabbed an equaliser with eight minutes to go courtesy of central defender Euan Tarry’s diving header.

United’s Robert Orr echoed what his opposite number had to say.

Orr said: “It was a game of two halves. We hit the bar and post in the first half but switched off in the second where they came into it more and got their equaliser just before the end.”

Redhall climb

Redhall Star YFC 19s moved level on points with Hillfield Swifts at the top of Division 2 after a 4-2 victory over Craigroyston BC at Redhall Park.

The home side secured their win within the opening 25 minutes after netting all four goals with Liam Scott – the striker’s first goal for the club – Brett Gallacher, Colin Robertson and Connor Aitchison all finding the back of the net.

The visitors had the opportunity to reduce the deficit to three just before the break but Corey Gray failed to take advantage from the penalty spot.

Ryan King did get his name on the scoresheet for Craigroyston with two goals but it proved to be too little too late.

Redhall’s Scott Robertson said: “We’re delighted with the victory and it’s great to be at the top end. We have played a few matches more than the others but we’ve managed to get the victories and have done a lot to keep the club going.”

Craigroyston coach Alex MacLeod said: “We didn’t approach the game in the opening 20 minutes or so and that cost us. But we got stronger after that and had a few chances.”