Youth round-up: Hutchie Vale 16s land silverware

Hutchison Vale 16s got their hands on silverware as they held off a stubborn Bonnyrigg Rose 16s side 3-2.

Wednesday, 18th May 2016, 5:30 am
utchison Vale 16s had to fend off stubborn resistance from Bonnyrigg Rose 16s to claim victory

The black-and-yellows were ultimately too strong at New Dundas Park as they lifted the Colin Greenhill Memorial Trophy – a competition in memory of the former Evening News sports journalist and keen supporter of youth football.

Hutchie began tirelessly in the final and their hard work came to fruition with two first-half goals. Grant Rose latched onto Ryan Borthwick’s clever flick just outside the box to put his side in front and then, just before the break, Rose bagged another as he blasted home.

Bonnyrigg came out fighting in the second half and put in a spirited showing to bring the game level. Marc Malloy caressed the ball into the Hutchie goal from outside the box and he struck once again, this time from the penalty spot, to restore parity.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Both teams pushed for the winner, but Hutchie were the side to get it – and in some style. Sean McFarlane fancied his chances 25 yards out and his thunderous effort flew low into the corner of the 
Bonnyrigg goal.

• Edina Hibs CFC 2002 14s came from behind to achieve Paladin Cup glory with a 3-2 extra-time win against North Merchiston 14s at New Dundas Park.

After defending well in the first half, Merchie took the lead just before the break. Brodie Stoner latched onto Daniel Black’s pinpoint through-ball to place the ball beyond Edina keeper Kyle Betts.

Merchie stuck to their game plan, soaking up Edina pressure, and they added another goal midway through the second half when Gregor Farrer pounced on a loose ball in the box to score.

However, in the final ten minutes Edina incredibly netted twice to take the game to extra time. Aidan Dodds lobbed Chris Woods in the Merchie goal and then Devan Craighead headed in a free-kick to make it 2-2.

Edina used the momentum to their advantage as they grabbed a winner. Merchie were showing tired legs as extra time wore on and Dodds chased down a ball over the top to fire in for a remarkable turnaround.

It was the second time Edina had lifted silverware this season and New Dundas Park.

• Leith Athletic 21s ran riot to lift the John Murphy Trophy after they defeated Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic A 21s 7-1 at Penicuik Park.

In what was an even first half, Leith took the lead as Callum Mein’s ball into the area was inadvertently turned in by Bonnyrigg’s Daniel Greig.

Bonnyrigg rallied and they grabbed an equaliser before half time as Kevin Dyett scored from close range.

After the break Leith were quick out of the blocks and they grabbed two quick goals to change the complexion of the game. Mein headed his side ahead for 2-1, then Dan Garvey set up Kern Hutchinson with some intricate play in the 
Bonnyrigg box.

Bonnyrigg went all-out attack in a bid to change the game, but it backfired as Leith took advantage of the lack of bodies defending to score four more. Neil Middleton got on the scoresheet for his side and Mein found the net again twice more to bag a hat-trick.

It was game over for Bonnyrigg and Leith added a seventh late on through Garvey.