Youth wrap: Lethal Lynch fires St Bernard's to glory

Jacksen Lynch bagged a hat-trick as St Bernard's BC 13s lifted the Edinburgh Cup with a 5-2 win over Salvesen CFC Reds 13s in the final at New Dundas Park.

Wednesday, 11th May 2016, 5:30 am
The St Bernards BC 13s show off their prizes after beating Salvesen CFC Reds in the Edinburgh Cup final
The St Bernards BC 13s show off their prizes after beating Salvesen CFC Reds in the Edinburgh Cup final

Saints started strongly and bagged three goals in the first half. They went ahead with 13 minutes gone as Declan Roose drove up the left before feeding Sam Fleming and he side-
footed in from 12 yards.

Fleming then set up Lynch for his first of the game and on the stroke of half time, Lynch added his second and Saints’ third as he intercepted a short goal-kick and blasted past Salvie keeper Callum Macdonald.

Salvie came out strong in the second half, with Yacoub Gilkey and Liam Collins providing two composed finishes in the area to reduce the deficit to just one goal, but Saints fended off the fightback by finishing strongly as Lynch completed his hat-trick and Gavin Mabon caught Salvie on the break to seal the victory.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

• Tynecastle 14s produced some clinical finishing to claim the John Crawford Memorial Trophy with a 2-0 win over Spartans 14s at Saughton Enclosure.

After both sides had won two games each against one another throughout the season, it always looked likely to be a tight affair. Tynie made the most of their first chance of the game when they went ahead after 15 minutes. Jordan Scobie’s free-kick from wide on the left picked out Ivan Alapiki in the box and he sent a strong header past Harry Stone in the Spartans goal.

It seemed to spark Spartans into life and midway through the half they almost made it 1-1, but Nicholas Reid saw his freekick from just outside the box rattle the crossbar.

Both sides probed in an end-to-end cup final but the scores remained unchanged until half time. The next goal was always likely to be crucial and it was Tynie who grabbed it.

Kieran Ngwenya chased onto Robbie Neave’s forward ball down the left before crossing for Scott Hunter, who headed in his side’s second goal and allowed them to see out victory in reasonably comfortable fashion.

• Fernieside 17s took a step closer to the Division 2 title as they saw off Bonnyrigg Rose Reds 17s 4-1 at Meggetland.

In what is shaping up to be a close final sprint to the title, Fernieside knew that they had to continue winning ways against Bonnyrigg, and they did so with a determined victory. Looking hungry from the off, Fernieside opened the scoring with 15 minutes gone with a goal of real quality. Lewis Sloan sent a stinging half volley from 20 yards out straight into the opposition goal to break the deadlock.

Bonnyrigg replied shortly after as Stuart Coburn sent a well hit effort from close range past keeper Alex Johnston. But it didn’t deter Fernieside who only had victory in their minds.

They went back ahead as Sloan turned in left-back Ronan Clelland’s cross with a clever volley past Craig Sinclair in the Bonnyrigg goal. Then, before the break, Fernieside grabbed another to extend their lead as Nathan Hardie placed the ball in from just outside the box.

It was one-way traffic and midway through the second half Fernieside wrapped up the win as Billy Linton teed up Cammy Douglas to score following some neat passing in the build-up.