Youth wrap: Spartans Reds shine in 12-goal thriller

Spartans Reds 13s came out on top in a 12-goal thriller against Bonnyrigg Rose Whites 13s to reach the second round of the South East Region Cup.

Wednesday, 7th September 2016, 5:30 am
Updated Wednesday, 7th September 2016, 1:15 pm
Spartans Reds scored five second-half goals without reply to defeat Bonnyrigg Rose Whites 13s

Bonnyrigg went ahead through Evan McCallum at King George V Park before Spartans equalised through Daniel Cooper.

The Whites went back ahead in spectacular style as Ryan Freeland curled the ball into the top corner from 25 yards before adding another through Aiden Hancock.

As the half ticked on, both sides weren’t letting up going forward. Spartans found the net as Cooper spun and shot from in the box before Sean Mullins smashed high into the net to make it 3-3.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Then five minutes before the break, Bonnyrigg went back ahead as Dylan Slater’s 30 yard free-kick flew into the roof of the Spartans goal to make it 4-3.

Spartans showed character after the restart to come back again with the goal of the game as Ben de Vries acrobatically scored to make it 4-4.

With the momentum in their favour, Spartans took the lead for the first time as Cooper grabbed his hat-trick with a sublime finish in the area before Mullins fired in a penalty to make it 6-4.

Then, with ten to go, 
Spartans’ Tom Harcus and Daniel Tuck wrapped things up for 8-4.

• Haddington Athletic 19s dug deep to narrowly reach the second round of the South East Region Cup, defeating Linlithgow Rose 19s 4-3 at Whittinghamme Drive.

Haddington went ahead on the 20-minute mark. Striker Connor Stevens received a ball into the danger area before firing across goal and into the bottom-left corner.

Linlithgow immediately showed fight to level the scores and levelled when Ross Mckinnell won possession at the heart of the Haddington defence to stroke home a goal.

Rose 19s were looking strong as the half wore on, but against the run of play Haddington took the lead before half time through Luke Wilkie.

The game really opened up in the second half and Jamie 
Falconer steered a shot from outside the box over the line to increase Haddington’s advantage before Linlithgow replied with a goal from Euan Brady.

As the game developed 
Haddington bagged another goal to put themselves a step closer to the next round. Stevens got on the scoresheet again as he stuck away a low cross from eight yards into the Linlithgow net to make it 4-2.

Linlithgow, however, didn’t throw the towel in. Connor 
Mcmeechan sent the ball 
crashing in to set up a tense 
finish, but Haddington held on.

• Redhall Star 17s comfortably defeated Blackhall Athletic 17s 2-0 to reach the second round of the South East Region Cup.

Redhall looked the better side from the start at Tall Oaks Park and took the lead when Grant Doyle sent a majestic chip into the Blackhall goal to break the deadlock.

With Blackhall heads down, Redhall capitalised to grab a second just four minutes later. Tommy Hendry sent a brilliant diagonal shot across goal and into the bottom corner after good patient buildup involving Doyle and Kyle Brown.

Redhall go onto face Hutchie Vale 17s in the next round of the competition.