Youths: Hutchison Vale 16s fight back again to beat Tynie

HUTCHISON VALE 16s secured back-to-back cup final success against heartbroken Tynecastle 16s as they lifted the Division 1 League Cup with a 3-2 extra time victory at New Dundas Park.

Saturday, 18th June 2016, 5:30 am
Vale dug deep to show their character as they fought back from behind twice in the final at Bonnyriggs New Dundas Park

The Yellow and Blacks had, three days previously, snatched the Jackie Faichney Cup from the boys in maroon with a brace of late goals.

And again their success was all thanks to a late strike, this time from Ryan Moffat in extra time after Tynie had twice led.

The game began with both sides playing some tidy football. There was a sense it wasn’t going to be long before the deadlock was broken and that feeling came to fruition with ten minutes played. A cross from the right by Tynie’s Martin Maughan was unintentionally turned in by a header from defender Sean Mcfarlane, giving the boys in maroon an early lead.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Maughan was in the thick of the action again as he sent a high cross into the Hutchie box that Ciaran McKenzie headed marginally over the crossbar.

Hutchie hadn’t faded away but they couldn’t quite pick a killer pass in the final third of the field. As the half wore on Tynie looked to capitalise on their opposition’s wastefulness and once again they shook the woodwork. Russell Cairns was allowed time and space to shoot outside the area and he curled a rasping effort off the inside of the right-hand post which had Hutchie goalie Bryan Cairns beaten.

As the half continued Hutchie improved their efforts in the final third and it looked for all the world they had pulled level. Kieran Jack chased down an early upfield ball on the right and he struck a shot from the corner of the area which Tynie keeper Lewis Gill kept out with a brilliant low save to his right.

Going in to first-half added-on time, Hutchie struck back. Jack was again allowed space around the opposition penalty box and he hit an angled shot into the bottom left corner to make it 1-1.

As the second half progressed chances were few and far between but Tynie were the ones to show clinical finishing as with 12 minutes to go they made it 2-1. A shot from the edge of the box by Cairns was saved by Cairns but Winnick tucked away the rebound.

Hutchie had to press and they ground out another equaliser. A corner in from the right by Jack picked out centre-half Steven Mackay and he headed the ball home.

Both sides threw caution to the wind in extra time and the game really opened up.

Late on in extra time, after it looked like penalties were inevitable, Hutchie snatched victory. Moffat went on a mazy run down the right before he cut in and leathered the ball into the bottom left corner, making it 3-2.

Hutchie Vale 16s: Bryan Cairns, Sean Mcfarlane, Ryan Batchelor, Steven Mackay, Ryan Moffat, Jack Temple, Cameron Watson, Grant Rose, Ryan Borthwick, Samuel Walker, Shaun Farrow, Kieran Jack, Max Gordon-Tennant.

Tynecastle 16s: Lewis Gill, Todd Teviotdale, Andrew Lickley, Lewis Gill, Ciaran McKenzie, Callum Bremner, Jordan Purves, Daniel Purves, Owen Winnick, Martin Maughan, Matthew Johnston, Russell Cairns, Matthew Brown, Dale Skinner, Gregor Lamb.