Youths: Salvesen make extra man count

Salvesen CFC 17s won their Victor Paris Bathrooms Cup tie
Salvesen CFC 17s won their Victor Paris Bathrooms Cup tie
Have your say

Salvesen CFC 17s moved into the second round of the Victor Paris Bathrooms Cup with a 5-2 away win over ten-man Edinburgh City at Forrester High School.

Division 2 side City were right up against it from the opening seconds of the game when their goalkeeper, Daniel Southam, was sent off for bringing down a Salvesen attacker in the box just as he looked certain to score.

Liam Cleeton replaced Southam in goal and the stand-in goalkeeper saved Lewis Ross’ weak penalty attempt.

Despite going down to ten men so early in the match, City rallied with a sense of injustice and there was nothing to separate the two sides until Daniel Mitchell opened the scoring for Salvesen with a great free-kick from 25 yards which arrowed low into the bottom corner after 15 minutes. After Adam Robertson had a chance to double Salvesen’s lead, City restored parity when Harry Clark pounced inside the box to place the ball past Andrew Smith after a Salvesen error.

The away side went in front again before half-time with a spectacular effort from John Dunbar after the ball sat up nicely for the midfielder 30 yards from goal.

Salvesen introduced a number of substitutes at half-time and the change in personnel injected more urgency and pace into their play, with the side increasing their lead early in the second half. Cameron Moir’s shot looked like it would be gathered easily by Cleeton but the ball slipped through his grasp and into the net.

City’s ten men were starting to tire and Salvesen made advantage of their extra man as they went further ahead when Dunbar struck again from a rebound. Substitute Alex McNeil made it five for Salvesen before Connor Brownlie staked his claim for goal of the game with a strike from long range which went in off the underside of the bar to give City a late consolation.

Meanwhile, Spartans 16s ran out 3-2 winners after extra-time against Bonnyrigg Rose Reds in a cracking South East Region Cup tie. The match appeared to be heading to penalties until Campbell Imrie produced a delightful finish in the second half of extra-time to send Spartans into the second round.

Rooted to the bottom of Division 3 with four losses it would have been an upset if Rose had beaten second tier Spartans, but they went in front in the second-half through a long-range shot from Ryan Cunningham.

Two goals immediately after turned the tide in Spartans’ favour, with Chris Williamson finding the net and then a stunning 35-yard Jason Scott free-kick giving the home side the lead with ten minutes remaining.

Cunningham sent the tie to extra-time, though, with another superb strike in the final minute for Rose but Imrie’s extra-time lob over Rose’s goalkeeper put to bed any hope of a cup upset.

Spartans secretary Jimmy Scott was delighted to see his side get through what he felt was an evenly-matched tie.

He said: “The game could really have gone either way and we would have had no complaints if Rose came out on top. The win gives us a big boost and another chance to progress in the cup.”

Elsewhere, Hillfield Swifts 21s beat East of Scotland League rivals Cavalry Park 2-0 in the first round of the Scottish Youth Cup.

Both Division 2 sides were looking for their first victory of the season after each coming into the cup tie with a defeat in the league.

Hillfield were in the mood for goals in the first half but they squandered several chances, with Cavalry Park goalkeeper Alan Mackay in inspired form to keep the match level.

Indeed it was one of his own players who put the ball into their own net to outdo the good work Mackay had done in keeping Hillfield at bay.

The defender attempted to cut out a Dillin Wilkinson cross into the box but, stretching out, he only succeeded in diverting the ball into the net.

Cavalry Park went in search of an equaliser, but piling players forward was to be their downfall as Hillfield extended their lead on the counter attack in the final minute after a quick passing move.

Left-back Euan Munro fed Martin Rennie in midfield and his through ball found Blair Duff, who composed himself before slotting underneath Mackay to seal the win.