Duddingston v Royal Burgess in Summer League Final

Have your say

David Miller and John Yuille played pivotal roles for Duddingston and Royal Burgess respectively as the two clubs set up a title showdown in the Edinburgh Summer League.

Duddingston, bidding for a first triumph in the event since 2006, beat Mortonhall 5.5-3.5 in one of the semi-finals at Prestonfield while the other, played at Craigmillar Park, resulted in a 5-4 win for Royal Burgess over Turnhouse.

Miller, the 2014 Lothians champion, was four down at one stage against Aoden Donnelly before fighting back to secure a share of the spoils in the top match.

Immediately behind, Gary Thomson recovered from being two down after seven to beat Mark Dickson on the last, with Gus Santana and Mike Armstrong then weighing in with hard-fought wins over Rob Paterson and Ian Dickson respectively.

“The momentum definitely swung our way with David getting a half and Gary winning,” admitted delighted Duddingston team manager Alan Banks. “At one point it looked like we may lose both these games so to get 1.5 points was massive.”

Santana’s win maintained his unbeaten record this season and he will head into the final with the Most Valuable Player prize already in the bag.

At Craigmillar Park, it went all the way to the wire before the experienced Yuille earned Royal Burgess the chance to regain the title they lost to neighbours Bruntsfield Links last year following six wins on the trot.

While Stephen Buckley led Burgess to an early lead with a comfortable win over Lewis Bain, at one stage on the back nine all eight other games were either square or had one hole in it.

Burgess appeared to have the upper hand, particularly when Varun Varadharajan produced a miraculous up and down from behind a tree at 18 to close out against Steven Armstrong.

Turnhouse, though, fought back to tie the scores at 4-4, meaning it all came down to the anchor match involving Yuille and Turnhouse stalwart Oliver McCrone. All square playing the par-5 17th, Yuille hit an outstanding second shot to around 10 feet to get his nose in front.

When he then hit a poor tee shot into the trees at the last, it looked odds on that the tie would go to extra holes and Joe Lockie and Mark Napier were preparing for the sudden-death scenario.

However, Yuille put paid to Turnhouse’s gutsy campaign with a miraculous recovery shot to around 10 feet behind the hole and McCrone was unable to make the birdie he needed for a half.

The final will be at Mortonhall on Sunday, September 13.