Ice Hockey: Shock as chiefs quit to leave Caps in meltdown

Share this article
Have your say

EDINBURGH CAPITALS new general manager has quit just seven days after taking over.

Len Wilcox, who was last week confirmed as the Elite League club’s general manager, and investor Raymond Lumsden have walked away after a crunch meeting.

Capitals’ last win was on December 11 last year when they beat Nottingham Panthers 5-4 at Murrayfield.

Businessman Lumsden today issued a prepared statement following the meeting in his Edinburgh home at which Wilcox, Neil and another investor, Matthew Tailford of Tailford Meats, Kirknewton, were present.

It read: “As you are aware, I asked Len Wilcox to come on board as general manager and to be part of a new team and board of directors in an effort to drive the club forward.

“It was made clear to the present director (Scott Neil) that he would no longer be involved in the day-to-day running of the businesses and that his duties would involve hockey matters only.

“It was made clear that he would not be involved in the business/cash side of the business. This was agreed.

“Mr Wilcox made it clear that having looked at the way the previous company had been run and at the way the present company was being run that he would want total control of all business affairs. This was agreed.

“Mr Neil has since decided that he still wants to be involved in the business side and cash handling and that is totally unacceptable to us.”

Lumsden, who claims to have provided up to £100,000 in sponsorship backing for the club in the last ten years, added: “Our offer of banking facilities and finance are now withdrawn as is the personal and financial support that Mr Neil has enjoyed for many years and without which he would not be involved today.”

He will be at Sunday’s Challenge Cup, Group A, clash with Fife Flyers but Lumsden said: “That’s whether I pay to get in or not. I am still a fan.”

Leith-based Wilcox said: “I was really looking forward to working with Capitals to improve their situation.”