Grange get their chance for revenge

Have your say

GRANGE roared into next weekend’s European play-off final and face Kelburne, the newly-crowned Division One champions, with the Edinburgh club desperate for revenge after losing out 12 months ago.

However, it took a powerful second-half performance to 
finally kill off eager Western 5-2 at Fettes yesterday and Grange skipper Cammy Fraser conceded that it will take 120 minutes of concentrated hockey to edge past Kelburne.

The skipper netted a double, with Great Britain under-21 international Hamish Imrie also scoring twice and bustling Aussie Todd Harmsworth scored a spectacular diving effort to nail the Glasgow side, who were edged 2-1 at Auchenhowie on Saturday in the first-leg.

Fraser said: “It was 50-50 in the first-leg, but we finally came onto our game in the second-half of the second game.

“The guys have worked really hard for this and we showed the standard we are capable off in the second-half on Sunday.”

Yesterday, Grange were stunned with Scott McCartney netted for Western after 25 minutes. Fraser levelled a minute later from a penalty corner and Grange went ahead when Imrie scored following a penalty corner near half-time.

But experienced defender Robert Barr was yellow carded for pushing former Inverleith player Andrew Sinclair and Sinclair scored seconds later to level at 2-2 just before the break.

Imrie’s solo, burrowing through a ruck of players, made it 3-1 after 20 second-half minutes and Fraser’s second penalty corner score five minutes and Harmsworth’s goal with five minutes remaining was the icing on the cake.

There was joy for Watsonians women. They were edged 2-1 at Peffermill by Kelburne on Saturday in the first-leg of their promotion/relegation play-off, but responded to beat the West of Scotland side 2-0 in Glasgow yesterday to remain in Division One.

Kelburne and Inverleith 
Ladies face each other next 
Saturday and Sunday for the other Division One place.

Inverleith Ladies lost 2-0 to Division One outfit GHK at Peffermill in their promotion/relegation play-off, first-leg on Saturday. They drew 2-2 with the Glasgow side yesterday in the return after being 2-0 down. Emma Helm and Fliss McCarthy scored twice in the last 15 minutes. GHK stay up in the top flight.