Hockey: Forrester saves the day as Inverleith win Presidents Cup

Have your say

DAVID Forrester modestly 
accepted the thanks of his 
Inverleith team-mates after back-stopping the Edinburgh club to their first outdoor domestic hockey trophy for four decades.

The former Edinburgh University keeper made several superb stops as city rivals Grange put Inverleith under pressure in the second half of yesterday’s Presidents Cup Final at Peffermill. Inverleith held out for a 3-0 win and one Forrester save in particular, from a penalty corner, had fans and team-mates 
saluting the 25-year-old law graduate who now coaches hockey at Edinburgh Academy.

Glasgow-born Forrester, who is in the Scotland senior squad, said: “It’s only my third game for the club, but I’ve settled in well. To have started the domestic season without a defeat is a confidence boost ahead of our league campaign.”

Another of Inverleith’s summer signings, Fabian Wolski, claimed two goals, the 
ex-Frankfurt star netting from first-half penalty corners.

And World Cup bronze medallist John Harris wrapped up the historic win with a screamer near the end of the contest. 
Wolski, recruited during the close season, said: “We were not under pressure in the first half and we were quite surprised. At the start of the second half they put us under pressure and we made lots of mistakes.

“But Dave made several super saves from penalty corners and we dedicate the match to him.”

Grange jet to Barcelona on Thursday to face Rotterdam and German play-off champions Berliner in the European Hockey League. Coach Colin Clarke rested several players ahead of the trip. His assistant, David Knipe, said: “We started slowly and looked leg weary after Saturday’s 6-1 win over Hillhead in Division One.

“The better team were ahead at half-time but we moved forward at the start of the second and created three of four gilt-edged chances. We failed to take them and we’ll have to convert chances like that when we get to Barcelona.”

Wolski opened his and Inverleith’s account from a penalty corner after 18 minutes, before slamming the ball home down the middle eight minutes later.

Harris’s rocket strike from the left-wing came four minutes from time.