Hockey: Grange fight back to win Scottish Cup

Scottish Cup winners Grange. Edinburgh University women, below
Scottish Cup winners Grange. Edinburgh University women, below
Have your say

Hamish Imrie completed his comeback from an 11-month injury lay-off by slotting the decisive running penalty to clinch the Scottish Cup for Grange against Inverleith and send them into Europe on a high.

The 17-year-old Fettes pupil, who was once signed for the Hibs Academy but turned his back on a promising football career, declared: “Now we’re looking forward to Europe.”

His running penalty capped off a remarkable comeback for Grange, who dug deep after going 2-0 down to their Edinburgh rivals after 20 minutes to draw 2-2 and force a shoot-out.

Phil Hall put Inverleith ahead after 17 minutes following a fiesty opening period which climaxed with the umpires asking the captains to calm affairs.

Haddyn Cartmill then dived to deflect home a ball from the baseline three minutes later.

Grange’s breakthrough came when Spaniard Juame Ventayol netted in 47 minutes and they levelled after 58 minutes, Irish striker Frank Ryan forcing the ball home at the far post, before then sealing it on penalties 2-0 after Inverleith missed all of theirs in the shoot-out.

There was also success for Edinburgh University women’s team as they beat Clydesdale Western 4-1 to lift the Scottish Cup, adding the honour to the British Universities and Colleges Sports Trophy they claimed earlier this year.

Coch Sam Judge said: “I’m delighted with the win, the girls played so well.”

They broke through after only four minutes via Louise Campbell and then went 2-0 up thanks to a reverse stick strike from Mairi Drummond after 15 minutes. Two minutes later Anna-Mae Morton opened Clydesdale Western’s account, but Heather Lang increased the lead to 3-1 lead three minutes before the break and captain Camilla Lyttle claimed the fourth after 59 minutes.

Earlier, Edinburgh University II beat Granite City Wanderers 3-0 to claim the women’s plate.