Hockey: Grange win Scottish Cup

Grange defeated Edinburgh University 5-1
Grange defeated Edinburgh University 5-1
Have your say

Todd Harmsworth celebrated a glorious treble as Grange won back-to-back Scottish Cups for the first time in the club’s history.

The 26-year-old Aussie proved the difference between his side and Edinburgh University as the students did not capitalise on the opportunities they created, particularly in the first half of the final at Glasgow’s National Hockey Centre.

The 5-1 outcome flattered Grange as three goals came in nine second-half minutes as Edinburgh University chased the game.

Their consolation came via a penalty-corner strike from midfielder Jamie Wong in the final minute.

Harmsworth, whose goal broke the deadlock after 20 minutes, said: “We led 1-0 at the break but the second goal from Cammy [Fraser] five minutes into the second half really got us going.

“In the last 15 minutes we played the best hockey we’ve played all season but Cammy’s strike was the turning point.”

He also admitted that the students had chances in the first period and Grange’s goalkeeper, Sean Hadfield, a Scotland Under-21 stopper, made at least two crucial blocks.

And Harmsworth, whose other efforts came in the 58th and 67th minutes, added: “Stephen Dick and Graham Moodie have huge experience but Edinburgh didn’t have one striker who could put the ball away.

“That makes a huge difference.”

Grange’s other marksmen on Saturday were skipper Fraser and Callum Milne who saw a penalty flick saved by University goalkeeper Jakim Berndsen after ten minutes with the scoreline blank.

Moodie, Edinburgh University’s player/coach, admitted Grange were the better side on the day but added: “The boys have worked incredibly hard and I hope this defeat does not take the gloss of what has been a really good season for us.

“We finished fifth, our highest ever finish, and reached the Scottish Cup final for the first time in our history. The boys should be proud of that and we have made massive steps forward.”

Grange now travel to Auchenhowie to play Western in the first leg of the Play-Off final on Saturday (2.00pm) with the return fixture at Fettes on Sunday, also at 2pm.