Treble yell for City of Edinburgh

Mel Coutts
Mel Coutts
Have your say

City of Edinburgh completed a treble of domestic honours by beating Edinburgh Jets 25-19, 25-17, 25-14 to win the women’s Scottish Volleyball Cup at Edinburgh University Pleasance.

The league and play-off champions found themselves 8-4 down in the first set but had turned the set around to lead 16-12 at the second technical time-out.

Jets closed to within two points (20-18) but City saw out the set and took control of the second set as they raced to an 18-11 lead.

Jets managed to get within 20-16 with a Nore Stolte tip over the block but could not put together a consistent run of points to turn the tide. Jets led briefly 1-0 at the start of the third set on a City handling error but, by the technical time-out, City led 8-2 and did not look like losing their grip. Mel Coutts brought up the first match point with a hit off the block and, although Jets won the next point, Great Britain cap Jo Morgan put away the final point.

In the men’s final, Glasgow Mets ruined NUVOC’s dream of becoming the first Second Division team to hoist the men’s cup but hardly spoiled their season.

NUVOC matched the first division runners-up for long spells of an engrossing contest before giving way 23-25, 23-25, 17-25.

After taking the first point of the match when Mets’ Polish outside spiker Edward Gorecki hit out of court, NUVOC found themselves 3-8 down at the first technical time-out. The Edinburgh side fought back to regain the lead three times in the set – but only by a single point – and Mets finished the set strongly with Ryan MacLeod, grandson of former Scotland football manager Ally MacLeod, hitting the final point.

NUVOC also matched Mets point for point for much of the second set but Gorecki was becoming increasingly influential, pummelling the NUVOC block and finding the gaps.

Mets took a two-set lead when Marcin Krakowski served wide on set point.

In the third set, NUVOC led 8-7 at the technical time-out but Mets came back – Gorecki making one unbelievable pick-up – and they took the set, and the match, on a passing error by NUVOC captain Findlay Haddow.

“We were caught in the headlights at the start,” admitted coach Gerry MacDonald, “But I couldn’t have asked for any more from the players.

“The cup final was always going to be a bonus and the main objective of the season was to win promotion and we did that.

“Mets just had that bit extra at the end of the sets but this team has only been together for a year and there is plenty of growth in them.”