Accies still chasing their first victory after agony at Ayr

Jamie Sole scored a try
Jamie Sole scored a try
Share this article
Have your say

Edinburgh Accies remain winless in the BT Premiership after falling to a late fight back for the second successive week. Accies again had to settle for a narrow defeat bonus point losing 23-17 at Ayr.

Greg Campbell, Jamie Sole and Ryan Godsmark had a try apiece, the latter of which was converted, as Accies established a 17-8 lead entering the final quarter. However, Phil Leck’s men were unable to withstand a strong finish by the hosts and are still on the hunt for the first victory of the campaign.

Currie suffered a similar fate in their fixture against Melrose at the Greenyards. John Cox and Ross Weston touched down for the visitors, while Joe Reynolds continued his fine form with the boot to land both conversions and four penalties, leaving Currie 26-19 ahead.

But the home side ran in three late tries to seal a 41-26 win that sees the Borderers replace the Malleny Park side in the top four in the league table.

Stewart’s Melville moved up to third spot in BT National Division One after posting a 17-12 win away to Jed-forest. The Inverleith side led 10-0 at the interval through a try by Fraser Christie, converted by Nick McCashin, who also landed a penalty. A converted score by Matt Morrell extended the advantage and, although the hosts claimed two late tries, StewMel held on for the win.

Watsonians were also in the Borders, but they had no joy on their trip to face leaders Selkirk. Tries from Scott McKean and Ross Aitken plus two Brian Walls penalties were not enough to halt the unbeaten hosts who took all five points in a 27-16 win.

Musselburgh travelled to play Aberdeenshire and displayed great character to squeeze home 27-25 and sit fourth in the Division Two table. Danny Owenson banged over three first-half penalties as ’Burgh reached the break with a 9-8 lead and, although ’Burgh had another three pointer, the visitors moved into a 22-12 advantage. Sandy Fraser claimed a try for ’Burgh who trailed by eight points entering the closing minutes. But the Stoneyhill men took advantage of two yellow cards for the hosts and Owenson booted another kick before clinching the victory when he added the extras to a James Peel try.

Haddington came within a whisker of breaking their losing run. The hosts led visitors Kirkcaldy 19-12 at half-time but were outscored in the second half and eventually went down to an agonising 30-29 loss. Meanwhile, Livingston were on the wrong end of a 58-15 score line in their match away to Cartha Queens Park.

RHC Cougars moved into second spot in Division Three after returning from their trip to face Dunfermline with a 43-17 win and five points to their credit. That result enabled the Capital side to leapfrog Preston Lodge who suffered a 26-13 defeat at home to Lasswade. Elsewhere, Murrayfield Wanderers bagged their first league points when they recorded a 16-16 draw away to Hawick YM.