Muir into BT Cup final but Heriot’s crash out

Craig Keddie celebrates his try in the first half
Craig Keddie celebrates his try in the first half
Have your say

Boroughmuir delivered an immaculate tribute to club stalwart Allan Mackay who passed away last week when they secured a berth in the BT Cup final with a 21-18 win at Glasgow Hawks.

Boroughmuir coach Bruce Aitchison had spoken during the build up of his players’ desire to reach BT Murrayfield in memory of a man whose influence was felt throughout the Meggetland club.

And they delivered a performance that would have made Mackay proud, with Jordan Edmunds, Craig Keddie and Iain Moody, claiming first-half tries and Carl Bezuidenhout adding all three conversions as ’Muir reached the break 21-15 ahead. And, the Capital side restricted the hosts to a solitary second-half penalty to secure a place in the final for the first time since lifting the trophy ten years ago.

The victory was a third success over Hawks this season with the competitive nature of matches between the two underlined by the fact that the cumulative margin in the three matches was a mere five points.

In the final, ’Muir will face Hawick who saw off holders Heriot’s 6-3 in a fiercely contested encounter laced with controversy at Mansfield Park.

The Goldenacre side paid the price for failing to convert a sustained spell of pressure into points as Hawick produced an impressively disciplined defensive effort to repel a Heriot’s attack that created a string of multi-phase attacks in the second period.

However, Phil Smith’s men played half of the game with 14 men after stand-off Stuart Edwards was shown a red card for a dangerous tackle on counterpart Rory Hutton.

Heriot’s scrum-half Graham Wilson opened the scoring with a penalty after 20 minutes but the home side countered with two successful kicks by Lee Armstrong, the second in the wake of the award against Edwards, to lead 6-3 at the break.

A difficult task for Heriot’s became even tougher when lock Russell Nimmo suffered a serious leg injury that caused a lengthy break in play. Despite the numerical inferiority, the Capital side applied incessant pressure but failed to breach a Hawick defence brimming with character.

And the final blow for the visitors came in the last play when Max Learmonth plunged over for what looked like the winning score. However, after consulting his assistant, the referee seemed to err in ruling out an apparently good try. That decision ended Heriot’s hopes of retaining the trophy.