Rugby: Currie thwarted as Ayr show finishing power

Have your say

Currie’s bid for a place in next season’s British & Irish Cup suffered a blow when they went down to a 36-18 defeat in Saturday’s Premier A clash with Ayr at Malleny Park.

Recent matches between the sides have been entertaining affairs and, with both targeting a top three spot, the latest instalment was no exception.

However, while Currie had enough possession to win, the visitors had the greater finishing power and an impressive defensive discipline, taking the try count 5-2.

An early self-converted score by Jamie Forbes augured well, but the only additions to Currie’s points tally before the break came from a brace of penalties by the same player as Ayr bagged five tries and held a commanding 31-13 advantage. Currie’s failure to capitalise on territorial domination in the third quarter proved costly and a touchdown from Barry Mansfield, the only addition to the Currie tally, was cancelled out by a late five pointer for Ayr.

Currie must now hope results go their way and that they can return with a win from next week’s trip to face title-chasing Dundee High, who ended Boroughmuir’s recent winning run with a 31-28 success at Meggetland. ’Muir led 21-15 at half time but were subsequently overhauled although tries from Redha Guedroudj, Sep Visser, Mark Hare and Jordan Webster, all converted by Ally Warnock, yielded two bonus points.

Elsewhere, Edinburgh Accies took a massive step towards securing their place in next season’s top flight when they harvested all five league points from a comfortable 37-12 win in Premier B over Hamilton at Raeburn Place.

Ross Browne and Andrew Findlater had two tries apiece, while Gavin Douglas and Iain Berthinussen contributed one each and Ruaridh Bonner kicked the other points as Accies moved a point clear at the top of the table ahead of their final fixture, a trip to face Glasgow Hawks on Saturday.

Stewarts Melville’s slim hopes of remaining in the chase for the two promotion spots were extinguished by a 24-22 loss at home to Jedforest after conceding a late try. Liam Steele touched down twice and Hayden Lingard also crossed the whitewash for Stew Mel, while Mike Hanning kicked the rest of the points as a campaign that had promised much ended in disappointment.

Across the city, tight finish specialists Watsonians suffered their third narrow defeat since the league split when they lost 27-22 to Hawick. Ali Ross, Tom Hart, Jamie Niven and Danny Moussa all touched down for Marcus Di Rollo’s men.

Meanwhile, in Premier Three, Lasswade chalked up an 18-10 win away to Haddington. Dan Barber had a try for the hosts, while James Elliot and Russell Gladstone touched down for Lasswade.