Thomas Dickson distraught as suffers first professional loss

Boxer Thomas Dickson admitted his preparation wasn't right after suffering the first defeat of his professional career at Meadowbank on Saturday night.

Monday, 31st October 2016, 5:30 am
Updated Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 3:20 pm
Thomas Dickson, left, attacks Jordan Ellison. Picture: Shabba Shafiq/SW33TSCIENCE
Thomas Dickson, left, attacks Jordan Ellison. Picture: Shabba Shafiq/SW33TSCIENCE

The 26-year-old former Leith Victoria amateur was outfought by Seaham’s Jordan Ellison on MGM’s Capital Punishment bill and looked a shadow of the fighter who had registered five consecutive wins since joining the paid ranks last December.

Dickson was set to box Adrian Fuzesi but was notified of a change in opponent just 24 hours beforehand.

And the super-lightweight struggled to cope with whatever the fast-paced Ellison threw at him and looked uncomfortable from the first bell.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Dickson, however, did find some success in the second round, catching his opponent with a couple of left hooks but Ellison thwarted any intentions the Scot had of mounting a comeback with some big shots of his own.

Dickson looked distraught as the Englishman’s arm was raised to signal the victory and he revealed afterwards that his focus had completely deserted him.

“I just couldn’t get my head in it at all. My amateur coach Jack from Leith Victoria didn’t turn up and didn’t let me know so my focus just wasn’t there,” he said. “I felt quite lethargic to be honest. I think I did my weight wrong; I had a last-minute change of opponent so I think it was a mix of things. I’m absolutely gutted but take nothing away from Jordan, he deserved the win and I wish him all the best.

“We knew it was big step-up having the opponent changed at the very last minute. He’s just boxed the British champion and got robbed in that one and he’s fighting for a title in December so we knew what he’d bring to the table.”

Tommy Philbin also had a last-minute change of opponent after Bryn Wain withdrew due to a stomach problem.

However, he made short work of Congo’s Eric Mokonzo winning 40-36, 26-year-old Philbin taking his pro record to 6-0.

Philbin, who trains at Lochend with coach Terry McCormack, was patient in his approach and his variety of shots eventually wore down the African.

“He swung a lot of shots but they weren’t landing, although he was tough,” Philbin admitted. “I’m pleased to get another win so that’s the main thing. I’m happy I’ve managed to get six victories in such a short space of time as a professional. Since the death of Mike Towell I’ve been trying to do things differently in the ring as it’s reinforced how dangerous boxing can be.”

Light-heavyweight Brian Forsyth had earlier taken care of Lincoln’s Mitch Mitchell in their four-round bout.

Forsyth, 30, wasted little time in gaining the upper hand as Mitchell cut a weary-looking figure at the final bell.

“He’s an awkward customer but I knew I could get the job done against him,” Forsyth said. “I’m just looking to make a statement for myself.”