Coronavirus in Scotland: Organisers insist TRNSMT festival is still on
Around 150,000 people were expected to flock to Glasgow Green for the fourth TRNSMT event in the middle of July.
Fans have been fearing an impending cancellation, particularly since the plug was pulled yesterday on the Glastonbury Festival, which was due to be staged less than month earlier in the calendar.
However a statement posted on TRNSMT’s social media channels insisted the Glasgow event is still on.
Lewis Capaldi, Liam Gallagher, The Courteeners, Ian Brown, Snow Patrol, Rita Ora, Amy Macdonald and Declan McKenna are among the acts booked to appear at the three-day event.
The Scottish Government called last weekend for the cancellation of indoor and outdoor events for more than 500 people. On Monday it urged people to avoid unnecessary social contact and stay at home as much as possible. No timetable has been set for how long the guidance will remain in place.
The statement from the festival, which is organised by Glasgow-based promoter DF Concerts, read: “TRNSMT is still scheduled to go ahead as planned and we look forward to welcoming everyone to the event in 16 weeks.
“The health and safety of festivalgoers, staff, artists and the surrounding community is our main priority and we are constantly monitoring the situation in accordance with advice from the World Health Organisation, Health Protection Scotland, the UK and Scottish governnments and local public health authorities.”
The Edinburgh International Film Festival, which was due to take place in June, was called off earlier this week, however the Edinburgh International Festival, Fringe, Tattoo and book festival are all still due to go ahead as planned.
Several outdoor festivals in the Highlands and Islands this summer have insisted they are still on at the moment, including the Hebridean Celtic Festival, on the Isle of Lewis, the Eilean Dorch Festival, on the Isle of Benbecular, and the Belladrum festival, near Inverness, all of which are due to be staged in July.
A statement from Hebcelt said: “We know that a lot of people are understandably concerned about coronavirus and also what it means for HebCelt Festival.
“As things stand today, we are continuing to prepare for the 25th anniversary festival in July.
“However, the situation is changing day to day, even hour by hour, and we are conscious of the Scottish Government’s advice on events involving more than 500 people.
“We hope things will improve in the coming weeks, but the health and wellbeing of everyone concerned must be our main priority.
“We will continue to review the situation and take any further guidance from the Government and medical experts.”
A statement from the Eilean Dorcha Festival said: “The situation and advice has been changing on a daily basis. At present, we are still hopeful that the festival will go ahead as planned and our preparations are continuing.
“We will continue to be led by the advice of the government and health professions and act in the best interests of our customers, staff, volunteers and all involved with the event.”
A statement from Belladrum said “As everyone is fully aware, things are changing on a daily basis, but at this moment in time we are still progressing with plans for delivering Belladrum this summer.
“We will be monitoring the situation closely and following all advice and guidance from UK & Scottish Government and the World Health Organisation in the coming days, weeks and months.”