Coronavirus outbreak leads to closure of Buckstone primary school in Edinburgh

Buckstone primary school has informed parents with children at the school that the premises will be closed due to a Covid-19 outbreak.

Friday, 4th June 2021, 2:23 pm
Updated Friday, 4th June 2021, 2:42 pm

Let us know what you think and join the conversation at the bottom of this article.

A letter has been sent to parents explaining that the outbreak has occurred and that they are taking the decision to close.

Enclosed in the letter is guidance for parents on what to do now that a closure has been decided upon.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The letter begins: “Dear Parents and Carers, thank you for all your support and patience over the last week.

“Unfortunately, we continue to be notified of new positive COVID-19 cases and classes isolating. Following further consultation with the Health Protection Team, NHS Lothian & City of Edinburgh Education and Environmental Services we have had to make the difficult decision to return to remote learning for all pupils next week and close the School and Nursery to all children. This is because cases are continuing to spread and further steps, including self-isolation of close contacts and closing the school are considered necessary by the Health Protection Team, to reduce the risks of transmission of the virus.

“We recognise that this will be very challenging for many families and I can assure you that it is not a decision that has been taken lightly.”

A further update will be provided on June 11 regarding reopening.

Buckstone Primary, Fairmilehead, Edinburgh.

All of those believed to have been a close contact of anyone infected has been advised to secure a PCR test. The school has said that it is unable to offer key worker provision due to the rising cases in the area.

The learning at home provision will be in place and the school will be in contact with those who receive free school meals to arrange pick ups - after school and breakfast club has been cancelled.

The letter ends with: “This continues to be a difficult and worrying time for our school community and please be assured that we’re here to support you.

“I know that if we continue to pull together, to follow FACTS and each play our part in sticking to the guidance, it won’t be long before we can welcome our children back in to the school building.”

Colinton/Fairmilehead Councillor Jason Rust said, "This is a tough but pragmatic decision and I thank the staff for their proactive work. It is a challenging time for the school community and I hope that all appropriate testing resources will be deployed in full."

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this article. We're more reliant on your support than ever as the shift in consumer habits brought about by coronavirus impacts our advertisers.

If you haven't already, please consider supporting our trusted, fact-checked journalism by taking out a digital subscription.