Wife speaks of joy after husband taken out of two-week induced coma

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
A West Lothian man who was battling for his life against coronavirus has been taken out of an induced coma and moved to Royal Infirmary Edinburgh to complete his recovery.

The emotional video of Neil Edwards being clapped out of the intensive care unit at St John’s Hospital was shared with the Evening News by his family.

Mr Edwards, 58, took ill over three weeks ago but has been in an induced coma for two weeks and has been relying on a ventilator.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Speaking exclusively to the Evening News, his wife Susan said: “Neil went off sick from work and just thought he had the flu, we originally phoned the NHS number on the Tuesday and carried on with paracetamol and fluids, but his temperature peaked on Thursday.

Neil Edwards left ICU at St Johns Hospital yesterdayNeil Edwards left ICU at St Johns Hospital yesterday
Neil Edwards left ICU at St Johns Hospital yesterday | Other 3rd Party

“The ambulance arrived to take him to St John’s Hospital and he was whisked off in minutes. My son and his wife came with me but we weren’t allowed in the hospital.

“He had my phone with him so I was able to get him during the day on Friday and found out he was moving to the ICU but when I phoned later on I couldn’t get him - the first ward told me he had moved and then I found out he was in a coma and on a ventilator which was obviously a bit of a shock.”

Mr Edwards then spent two weeks in the coma as his family endured the wait to hear news on his condition.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“I couldn't get into see him, I couldn't talk to him, it was awful,” Mrs Edwards added, “I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It’s the unknown that’s the scariest part.

“On Thursday last week I spoke to a consultant and in the space of two minutes she had said ‘if he survives’ three times - I just took myself to bed and stayed until the next day.”

However, within 24 hours, his condition had improved and his family were told that he was well enough to come out of the induced coma and off of ventilation.

“It was a very Good Friday,” said Susan, “The difference in 24 hours was night and day.”

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

His family credited frontline healthcare workers on their efforts, for answering calls and questions whenever they were needed. While Mr Edwards is not well enough to go home quite yet, they are optimistic that he will be home within the next few weeks.

Due to the coma, he is currently suffering from kidney failure and has been transferred to RIE’s renal ward to complete his recovery.

“Not being able to see him is the hardest bit,” Mrs Edwards commented, “Seeing the video of him leaving ICU with the clapping guard of honour was so emotional. I don’t even know how many times I’ve watched it and every time it is just as good.

“I managed to speak with him before he left and I told him on the video to give me a wave, so I like to think that is for me.”

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Once he is recovered, his family said the first place he would go back to is Easter Road as he is a huge Hibs supporter.

The family have adopted the Hibs motto ‘Persevere’ throughout his battle with the virus, taking it day by day.

Mrs Edwards added: “The NHS have been incredible, there is not one person who has not gone above and beyond. He wouldn’t be here without them.

“I would just like to say thank you to all our friends and neighbours who have been taking care of us, delivering food, parcels, shopping, anything, whenever it has been needed.”

Mr Edwards’ family - including two sons, and one granddaughter - are eagerly awaiting his return and Susan said when he returns home she will be ‘hugging him to death and never letting him go’.

Related topics:

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.