East Lothian dad neglected his kids and left them with rotting teeth

A father who admitted neglecting his three children by failing to take them to the dentist for treatment to their rotting teeth has walked free from court.

Friday, 23rd April 2021, 4:45 pm
The neglect case was heard at Edinburgh Sheriff Court

Let us know what you think and join the conversation at the bottom of this article.

The 49-year-old, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, refused to take the children for the necessary dental treatment over an 11-year period.

The man, who lives in East Lothian, also admitted assaulting one of his offspring by dragging them out of a vehicle causing the child to fall and strike their head on the ground during an incident in July last year.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The dad appeared at Edinburgh Sheriff Court earlier this year where he pleaded guilty to three charges of child neglect and to one assault offence.

Sheriff Douglas Keir had deferred sentence for the man to be of good behaviour.

He failed to appear at the capital court for the sentencing hearing but defence agent Iain Smith told the court his client had adhered to the condition and had stayed out of trouble since his last court appearance.

Sheriff Keir said he was content to issue the man with a warning to his future behaviour and handed him an admonishment him on all charges.

Previously the court heard the dad refused to take his children for dental treatment in an act the sheriff said was “completely misguided to the extent they suffered from extensive tooth decay over a period of several years.”

The court was also told the man assaulted one of his children during a disturbing incident in an East Lothian town on July 2 last year.

He was said to have pulled the youngster from a car in the town’s High Street causing the child to strike their head on the ground.

He then repeatedly struck the child to the head and body before dragging them into a house in the town.

The sheriff noted the assault on the child did not result in any injury but added the attack would have been “very frightening and very stressful” for them.

The man pleaded guilty to having parental responsibilities and wilfully neglecting and ill-treating three children between August 12, 2009 and July 2 last year.

He also pleaded guilty to assaulting one of his children on July 2 last year.

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this article. We're more reliant on your support than ever as the shift in consumer habits brought about by coronavirus impacts our advertisers.

If you haven't already, please consider supporting our trusted, fact-checked journalism by taking out a digital subscription.