Mekala is back in Edinburgh after Vietnam ordeal nearly claimed her life

Fitness instructor Mekala Osborn is recovering in Edinburgh Royal Infirmary nearly three months after she was almost killed by a bug she contracted on a dream holiday.

Sunday, 24th November 2019, 12:17 pm
Updated Sunday, 24th November 2019, 12:35 pm
Home: Mekala Osborn

The 22-year-old, from Wallyford, East Lothian, developed pneumonia and was given just a 5 per cent chance of survival

She was spent a fortnight in a medically-induced coma after being left fighting for her life in Vietnam in September.

Mekala - who was joined at her hospital bedside by her mother Yvonne, 51, and stepfather Jimmy McAulay - was later transferred for specialist care to a hospital in Singapore, where she was brought out of the coma and gradually grew strong enough for a special flight to the UK.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

She flew into Manchester Airport on Saturday, accompanied by her consultant and two other medical staff, and was ferried north to Edinburgh by ambulance for further treatment.

Mr McAulay, a taxi driver, said: “Mekala is safely home, with no problems. We are all emotional wrecks — but in a good way.

"Mekala's mum and I are so excited that she's home and safe, although there's still a long way to go.

Mrs McAulay told followers on Facebook: "Mekala has arrived safely in the ERI and is comfortable. She will just be resting tonight as the wee scone is shattered."

Mekala was on a trip-of-a-lifetime to south-east Asia when she fell ill, initially suffering a sore throat which she treated with over the counted medication.

But she was later rushed to hospital after her condition worsened and she was diagnosed with bronchial pneumonia.

Close family friend Davie Martin, a DJ at Radio Saltire, launched a fundraising campaign and well-wishers donated £12,000 to pay for Mekala's family to fly out to be with her.

She was then transferred to a hospital and underwent life-saving surgery by Dr Winston Jong, who was part of the three-strong medical team who accompanied her on the 13-hour flight to the UK.