Historic Edinburgh naval barracks that played a key role in Second World War are for sale
The historic naval barracks at Port Edgar have been put up for sale in a bid to attract a string of new investors to the area.
The waterfront site comprises the former naval barracks at Port Edgar and includes an area of the foreshore. In total the site extends to 17 acres, of which approximately 5 acres is on land.
The site is situated right on the shore of the Firth of Forth, approximately half a mile west of South Queensferry. Accessed from Society Road, it has stunning views of the three Forth bridges.
It houses three former barracks buildings, a two-storey Officer’s Ward, several additional single storey buildings, including former guard rooms and recreational buildings, as well as an air raid shelter. The site itself has received listed status due to the buildings’ previous role. The site is allocated as ‘white land’ and as such, there are no site-specific policy designations, making it potentially suitable for a variety of different uses such as commercial, residential, leisure or tourism.
Peter Fraser, Director in Avison Young’s Edinburgh office, said: “This is an extremely rare opportunity to acquire a site with rich naval history that also benefits from a wide range of possible future uses.
"We anticipate interest from a wide spectrum of developers and occupiers, from housebuilders to outdoor pursuits operators; commercial developers to maritime-related industries given the potential to own 2 acres of seabed on the outskirts of Edinburgh.”
Port Edgar’s rich naval history includes its role in the Second World War.
1916 – acquired by Admiralty as new naval base
1918-1927 – buildings used as barracks
1930s – buildings on former naval base used as holiday camp for unemployed people from Glasgow and Edinburgh
1939 – Port Edgar reactivated as HMS Lochinvar – specialist minelaying & minesweeping facility
1960 – Port Edgar becomes Navy’s only minesweeping training facility
1975 – Final closure of naval facilities at Port Edgar
1998 - Scottish Ministers assume responsibility for the barracks site around the time of devolution. Becomes the main archive store for the Museum of Scotland’s (NMS) agricultural collection
2013 - The buildings are vacated by NMS